1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kill the bird?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SnowCal, Mar 24, 2013.

1. I just buried a mouse that our local friendly and feral cat killed in our yard. Poor guy. There's a bluebird hopping around. Won't fly away when you walk towards him, just hops around. He tried to fly and couldn't seem to do it. I'm guessing his wings are hurt.

He's not gonna make it through the night. The cat's gonna have his way with this poor bird. Thinking about taking a shovel now and making it quick.

What would you do? As a bassist?

2. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    If you're sure the bird can't be helped any other way...

3. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    Could just drop it off at a vet and have them figure it out.
    It may or may not be illegal to kill songbirds in your area anyway.

4. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    Leave it be. It could be a juvenile not quite ready to fly. Yes, the cat might get it... But maybe not. You never know. I've seen jays go after a cat to protect a fledgling. Mom or Dad jay might be watching over.

Sometime, you just have to let nature take it's course.

Plus, you'll get no comfort if you do it.

5. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Put it in a box tonight and call the Humane Society tomorrow.

6. It's not a little guy. Fully grown bird. Just can't fly.

I'm just worried I'll get no comfort if I try to sleep and let the cat find and 'play' with it all night. Cats are vicious in a way.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    The Humane Society will not do anything. Go ahead, call them. They will tell you to leave the bird alone. I am fairly certain a vet will not touch it either. Seems to me you have 2 choices. Try to catch the bird and nurse it back to health yourself or kill it quickly and painlessly.

8. This is similar to what my wife suggested. She thinks the bird would be best off spending the night in your garage.

FWIW, I was gonna recommend the shovel.

9. It's hard for me to imagine the local Humane Society or anybody else doing anything. They're completely overwhelmed with the local feral cat problem, a problem that is mostly caused by bad behavior on humans' parts. They can't possibly afford to take care of every sick bird with a broken wing from completely natural causes.

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I guarantee you they won't do anything.

11. Sonicfrog

Jan 4, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    Humane society in most cities don't have the resources to take on wild birds. Unless they are endangered, they'll likely just tell you to leave it be.

12. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    The Humane Society will absolutely tell you what is best for the bird. They've helped me nurse more than one bird back to health for release back to the wild.

13. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Check the Audubon Society website?

14. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Predators always target the easy prey and the top of the list is the sick and injured. Your wild tweety bird with the broken wing is a goner no matter what you do as it's unlikely that wing could ever heal completely. If a cat doesn't get it then a falcon or hawk will. That's just how nature works.

Consider though, what would result if you caught the bird and killed it yourself. It probably won't suffer much more or less, either way, but the predators still need to eat and they'll just target and kill a healthy bird, if an injured bird isn't available.

15. But I did catch a bird in my house with a salad bowl:D
    PIC_0121.

OP, I have nothing useful.

16. Sonicfrog

Jan 4, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    So... What happened?

17. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Sometimes a parent bird plays injured if the nest is nearby.

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    usually when they're hungry. cat's gotta eat.

19. good old killdeer.

20. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Roflmao ,, city folk,, yall are precious, feral cats gotta eat too.