1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Killer City Guitars Bass Stings 1st Impressions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassin4God, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Bassin4God

Bassin4God

Jul 27, 2015
    Well I received my strings from Killer City Guitars today I ordered the Medium 5's gauges .45-.125. Initial impression was how well they were packaged, I'm impressed by that from the beginning. They feel about as smooth as D'Addario XL Nickels which is good for me because that's pretty much what I use. I put them on my Squier Vintage Modified 5 string replacing a set of DR Pure Blues that also has been a part of my string searching quest. I find that before I actually plugged into my amp they seemed bright maybe even a bit clanky but then I'm plugged in then they kind of have a more mellow sound to them but still bright and articulate. I did notice that the output is not as high as the DR Pure Blues. I changed one string at at time so I noticed the difference, not a deal breaker for me but maybe for some. The strings sound even across all strings and feel comfortable. I will check in after a couple hours, days of playing to see if any of my opinions change. I have church on Sunday so I'll see how they hold up. If initial impression continues in this direction I will be ordering more of these strings.

2. Was it really necessary for you to start up a new thread on these strings after posting the same thing in the thread already started by @LiquidMidnight?

3. Bassin4God

Bassin4God

Jul 27, 2015
    I'm going to apologize because it had looked like it didn't post because my desktop was acting up so I just came here. Didn't know it would cause an issue.

4. I don't see it as a major issue, just an annoyance when two people start new threads back-to-back talking about the same thing. Wouldn't it be easier if we all could follow one thread instead of two?

5. Bassin4God

Bassin4God

Jul 27, 2015
    I agree you as stated my desktop was having some issues.

6. Greg Waldon

Greg Waldon

Aug 22, 2017
    Mississippi
    None

I am also impressed with these strings. I received mine today
    I got the 45-105’s. Each string was sealed in a plastic sleeve and not the paper envelope that the flap was tucked inside. They were actually sealed. I used these strings on my pawn shop special Squier Affinity PJ. It sounds fantastic. I got a couple of hours of playing in and I am really impressed with how these string sound and feel. I am gonna play a lot more tonight so I will see how they hold tuning. Shipping was fast and were delivered when they were supposed to be. I may have found my new go to strings.

7. 1975Bassist

1975Bassist Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2018
    I TOO have just gotten 2 pairs of bass round wounds from the one man show called "Killer City Guitars." I've tried just about every type of round wound and these are as fine and comparable to any thing on the market, price not withstanding. I ordered 1 set of medium gauge strings (.045, .065, 85 and 105). then William sent me a personal note along with a new set he developed of med light gauge strings (45,65, 80, 100s) that he would like me to try out and get back to him re comments of the med. lights. That means I spent $10 for 2 PAIRS OF BASS STRINGS! You can't get GHS BOOMERS for electric guitars that cheap! He saves cost by not put extraneous glossy prints of basses, and uses plastic to enclose each strings in the set. Plus he's doing all his business now on REVERB. THESE ARE NOT BEGINNER STRINGS. THEY match up to round wounds strings costing 3X that much. Hell, he just lowered the price from 9$ to $6.29 for his medium gauge strings. He might soon find himself overwhelmed with orders with all the positive reviews and endorsements he's getting from working musicians and luthiers.

Greg Waldon likes this.
  8. Greg Waldon

Greg Waldon

Aug 22, 2017
    Mississippi
    None
    1975Bassist,

I completely agree with everything that you said. I have played these strings about 5 hours over 2 nights since I put these on my bass. They are some of the best sounding strings I have used. Combine that with the cost and they are a no brainer. Hopefully William will continue to build on what he has done. I know I will be using these strings again.

9. Greg Waldon

Greg Waldon

Aug 22, 2017
    Mississippi
    None

First impressions may have been good but second are not so good. Replaced the strings on another bass with KCG strings. The A string snapped before it got remotely close to being in tune. The rest wouldn’t stay in tune overnight. Intonation was out the window. I thought the strings would eventually break in but that was wishful thinking. I can see getting a bad string but to have the whole set bad has never happened to me before. Give them a couple of weeks and nothing improved so I went back with EB Regular Slinkys and things are right in the universe again.

10. 1975Bassist

1975Bassist Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2018
    That's too bad. I haven't had a problem on the 3 sets I have been using on 3 different basses. But production has stopped as well due to the maker's having health issues. I see that there are other makers coming out with relatively cheap round wounds. Any one have an opinion as to the QA/QC re these?

11. Greg Waldon

Greg Waldon

Aug 22, 2017
    Mississippi
    None
    Glad that you have had good luck with your strings. Like anything else, you can get a bad batch every once in a while. Hopefully the health issues are not serious and he can get back to making strings. I will keep my eyes open of some of these other strings.