Killer deals thread...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bassic83, May 20, 2007.

1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Wanted to see what kind of deals you've gotten in the past...

For me, getting a 78 Toyota Celica GT Liftback for $100. Drove it for two years!

More recently, this- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=150124217072&rd=1&rd=1

I got a Fullerton Cutlass from Music123 for $99, shipped. Played that one for the last two gigs.

So what kind of deals have you gotten? Doesn't have to be music-related...

2. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    That's a sweet Schroeder cab! What are you going to play through it? If you can post some clips, I'd really appreciate it.

In 1988-89, I got my first real rig which consisted of an Ampeg SVT head, 2 4x10 cabs an ART Nightbass prosessor and a Jackson Concert bass for just under $1800. I think that would qualify as a pretty sweet deal.

3. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Hopefully this doesn't turn into a spam thread...

Anyhow, I just got some Fila Punto Tennis shoes for 49.95$ US off the internet, from Tennis Warehouse. And they fit :)

4. mayhem

mayhem

Jan 27, 2007
    Scotland
    My speakers, £150 from £850! Mission 704A's I got a few years ago.

5. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    $300

[​IMG]

You can all die now.

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I've gotten several free vehicles.

84 Chevy pickup, drove for 5 years and sold for $500.
    85 Monte Carlo, fixed rotten brake lines and sold for $500.
    95 Jeep Cherokee, drove for 2 years and then sold for $1200.
    89 Grand Marquis, sold engine and trans for $500.
    94 Lumina, fixed brake lines and sold for $1000.
    86 Chrysler New Yorker, fixed front brakes and sold for $600.

7. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    *kills himself*:bawl:

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    -A '92-'94 Stingray for about $450, shipped w/ HSC
    -A Ovation Magnum IV for $50 w/ OHSC
    -We had a neighbor give us about 300+ books for free. Which is actually pretty decent, considering any used book store would charge at least $2 per, more than likely right around $5 per. This is worth mentioning because they were almost all worth reading.
    -My grandmother gave me a box of vintage vinyl records. I still haven't gone through them, but they're all no later than the 50s, so there's a good chance I've got a couple smackeroos in that box. Unfortunately, they're in Oregon right now, and will probably remain there for another year or so.

That's about it for me.

9. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    My Peavey Millennium BXP 5 string, used once, like new, for $136 (ebay).

My newly acquired Yamaha O1V digital mixer for $315 shipped including optic cables and optional ADAT card.

There's tons more; I'm a deal finder.

10. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Cornell , IL.
    I was given 2 non working amps. A Fender blues deluxe. fixed it myself and sold on ebay for $300 w/ full disclosure of the repairs. Needed about $10 in parts.
    And also a Mesa Boogie 50 caliber (22watts) combo that I determined to have a bad output transformer (about $150) so I chose not to repair it and it sold for just over $300 on the bay , again w/ full disclosure of my assesment.
    :bassist:

11. sixway

sixway

Aug 20, 2006
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Scored this Micheal Kelly Dragonfly "Lefthanded" bass off of eBay for $110! ($400 to $500 retail value....)

From East Coast to Hawaii, landed for and additional $52, so my total was $162!

Now I don't have to fire up an amp late at night when an idea, or the urge to practice hits.

Sometimes it's good to be a Lefty....

[​IMG]

12. 1985 Ibanez Musician, Some sort of Aria Bass, A 10 watt traynor amp, hard shell case for the Ibanez and 5 sets of strings for $162.

That Ibanez is now my main insturment.

13. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    What is it about Luminas and brake lines? I know four people who have, or had, Luminas, all have had bad problems with brake lines! Design "feature", perhaps?

14. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Got an Ampeg SVT 2x8 combo once for $100, didn't like the tone so I sold it for $400.

15. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'll be running the Schroeder with my LMII head, and a plethora of basses. I have 7 to choose from at the moment. This past weekend I used my newest "El Cheapo", my $99 Fullerton. That thing ROCKED! Aside from a new set of strings for the setup, it's bone stock. My camera is down right now, I'll see if I can get it running after work today and get a couple pics up.

16. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Oh, forgot about my best deal ever.

While going to college, I got married and we lived in a mobile home. For both of us, it cost us $1050 per semester, with free summers.

We got divorced, and I was going to pay the $1050 myself to stay there... it was due at the end of the semester. I was approaced in November by the landlords, who said they had depreciated out the trailer and I could either buy it or move out... for $1500. I'd be in for $1050 for rent anyways if I moved out, so I bought it, and it only really cost me $450!

I sold it myself a few years later for $3500.

17. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Brake lines in the northeast tend to rot out from road salt. Can't really say Luminas are the worst, though.

18. My wife won me a level one Rally Course in a Subaru WRX for Fathers Day. It was awesome! I'm certified Level 1 now.

$20 a lap and any mate could do a hot lap with the driver on the day I drove too!!

Deal of a lifetime I reckon.

I've heard of a guy that went to a Harvey Norman to buy a stick of RAM, and got handed a BOX of sticks of RAM!! That's a lot of RAM :eek:

19. Just got a great deal on an Ibanez Gary Willis original GWB1 5 string fretless bass at a local pawn shop. They had it marked as the new low end GWB35 and listed for $450. I checked all the hardware and the serial # and confirmed it was indeed a GWB1 (Swamp Ash, Bartolini PUP, Active/Passive switch, and Ebony Fretboard. I talked them down to $350 plus the inclusion of a Hardshell Case. Needless to say a superb bass for very little cash.

20. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Sweet deal!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021