Killer guitar basses made in japan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jimmy Aloha, May 23, 2021.

1. I saw this bass used for about 800usd used. Looks like it’s an older model with taiji Sawada’s autograph from X JAPAN on the headstock. Anyone play these? Any reviews? I was thinking to pick it up due to it being a custom build to order model made in japan for a third of the price. Any you guys played killer basses before? Not much info or reviews in English . Thanks https://bigboss.jp/store/products/detail/967

2. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    That's a Killer bass. Criminal Bass signature model? (sorry my japanese is not that well).

Jimmy Aloha likes this.
  3. Yeah. Killer kb-criminal signature. Looks like there was a cheaper one with a double jazz pickup in the back. This looks like the more expensive model

Flaked Beans likes this.
  4. JIO

JIO Be seeing you. Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Hah! Killer Criminal bass - love it. :bassist: A bass to be played in bars and not behind them! :laugh:

Buster Brown, Nuage420, MCF and 10 others like this.
  5. The ironic thing actually is that Taiji was on us federal charges for fighting on a plane in Saipan. He was going to be a criminal…before…

Clark W and JIO like this.
  6. JIO

JIO Be seeing you. Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    It reminds me of the Ashdown 550 Spyder amp (I have one, great amp) - James Dean died in the fiery head-on crash of his Porsche 550 Spyder in 1955. Using that iconic name for their product must have seemed very "Americana" to a UK company, but just the same is a bit dark to name a bass guitar amp after a "cursed" death car. (and the exact connection is...?...) I read somewhere that the amp is actually 548 or something (watts) and they 'rounded it off' to 550 to echo the car. Sorta like what they do with motorcycle cc's. (750 actually 7fourty-something close to 750 etc) Ashdown also had a 550w all tube amp called the "Little Bastard" - the name JD gave his Porsche.

upload_2021-5-23_22-8-30.jpeg

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  7. what a trip….

JIO likes this.
  8. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    it's odd this thread popping up i just came across this model while looking for a very specific ESP model on the Japanese market...

kb_simony_wh-jpg.jpg

9. saw that also. Looks interesting. No has played these ? I am surprised…

10. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    It's part of the "rancor series."

Jimmy Aloha likes this.
  11. have you tried it or any of the killer basses before?

12. T-boneParish

T-boneParish Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Austin // Charlotte
    From the description: "BODY Top: South Ash/Back: Maple with Breath Hole"

Anyone know what's the reason for a "Breath Hole" in the back of the body?
    killer bass.PNG

13. looks like a form of hollow body . 7 holes are drilled in the body from neck to endpin to enhance treble and midrange. It’s only available on the high end basses.

14. Actually that hole is for the e string. It’s a string through only for the e string…the rest are through the bridge…kinda wierd…I really wanna try this bass out…:

Mvilmany likes this.
  15. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Nope, just thought the name was funny.

Jimmy Aloha likes this.
  16. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    396,000 yen = US$3640. $800 is some kinda deal!

Rabidhamster and Jimmy Aloha like this.
  17. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx!

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    My '91 MIJ 50s Precision is a really good bass for the money. I just don't know if it qualifies as KILLER though.

18. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    For $3 Large, I assume that's a rainbow phoenix inlay, and not just stickers...right?

Jimmy Aloha likes this.
  19. Evilheim

Evilheim

Dec 27, 2017
    Madrid, Spain
    I've never heard about that brand before, but just assuming that being an actual Taishi signature model, it would be a damm-good instrument, I can't imagine any X-Japan members doing signature models with not enought good brands. But overall, Japanese basses are pretty top in term of construction anf finish quality, even Tokai basses really surprised me.

Jimmy Aloha likes this.
  20. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Just fyi ALL wattage ratings are approximations. 548 is an approximation, too, and is pretty bad for marketing purposes so no wonder they didn't name it that.

I think it's odd the knobs don't match on this bass. Not a deal breaker, just... odd.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    JIO likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022