Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Killer John Entwistle solo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Dec 19, 2005.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Do they chop it right before 6:00???

3. Samelot

Samelot

Jun 23, 2005
    yo, ive heard him before, but ive never heard him this good. Has he been as good as that from the begining of the Who recordings!!?? amazing!

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Yes he has.

5. must...hear....

6. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Nice find. Thanks for sharing.

7. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    Holy Macaroni! That just awesome!!! Is he picking with just two fingers?

Thanks!

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool thanks.

9. Comeon, Billy Sheehan gets ripped to shreds for being a "wanker" everytime someone posts about him in here, I expect to see the same after watching that clip.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, I wasn't all that impressed. It had a lot of energy and he was rocking out, but it sounded like he didn't really know what he was doing, not that it's really a bad thing, but I dunno, guess I was expecting more. Still pretty neat though, I really dug the tune. :meh:

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Not a fan of bass solos in general, so I really didn't care for that one. I prefer his classic lines to his soloing and modern tone.

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

some times that's all that matters.

13. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Damn, I knew seeing The Who in '89 for my first concert (thanks Dad! :D ) certainly set my path towards the low end.

It's surprising that the solo is probably the most un-Ox solo I've ever hear, tone-wise. This was almost Stu-ish in it's clean tone as opposed to his more normal tri-amped "multilayered distortion" that he usually had going on.

14. Nice! I'm in the middle of rehearsals for another Who tribute show, and this just cements, in my mind, that Entwistle was one of the best ever. Thanks for the link!

rip J.

15. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Man, I wish Google wouldn't keep non-US residents from viewing the videos on Google video.

16. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Best. Band. Ever.

17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Nice solo, a good show of his "typewriter" thing, but watching that, I feel he was slight wasted in The Who, their music has never grabbed me.

18. not bad...i thought the notes sounded and looked kinda random, but it sounded pretty neat!
    as for the typewriter thing he dies, it didn't really seem like he was tapping, it sounded more like a fast fast slap-like technique, because i didn't hear the high notes, or maybe he was going faster than i could hear...idk

19. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Thats where Ryan Martinie from Mudvayne got his technnique no?Looks like tapping but just kinda fats out the low notes and not the ones.Not actually tapping them but percussively slapping them with the finger.

20. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Alot of those riffs in the solo are the same in the MSG shows in the late nineties just without the harshest distortion ever