Killer John Entwistle solo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Nice solo man! I've never seen an old man shred up a bass like that before. I had no idea he could play like that either. I've always loved the Who and his basslines are great but I never heard him let loose like that. Awesome tone too, anyone know what kind of bass that is?

2. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Not 100% on this, but i think it's a custom Warwick Buzzard. Its pretty much all graphite too.

3. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
  4. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Yes, that is a Status Buzzard he is using. The video is taken from the "Tommy/Quadrophenia" DVD. The thing that I like about this solo is that he keeps referencing the melody in between his bursts of notes.

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Hey, he wasn't THAT old. :eyebrow:

I really don't think much of his tone here...it just sounds like a cold direct active bass to me. But hey, the E man rocked big time his whole life. Even if you don't think you like him, it would be hard to find another single guy who had more influence on the way rock bass is played and sounds today.

6. Very true Bob! on all accounts. I think John's hearing was suffering close to as much as Pete :-/ It's not like anyone could have walked up to the man and say "*** John you sound like crap". I did love his more modern tones... "Too Late the Hero" and the following tour, he sounded Modern AND wicked.

That said, I've heard and used some tasty "direct active bass"... but I get what you mean ;)

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

During my conversations with John over the years it was very apparent that his hearing was not what it once was(I would have to speak a little louder than I normally would and repeat myself),but it was understandable since he had been playing at enormous volume levels for over 30 years(and usually with out ear plugs,he once told me himself that he didn't like or care for in ear monitors).

8. :bassist: FANTASTIC TONE!! Much like what was posted before, I love how he kept referencing the songs main groove in between random acts of insanity. This is the first solo of his I have ever seen, and i am thoroughly impressed. The Billy Sheehens of the world are great for entertainment and sweet noise, but the real heart of a solo, in my opinion, should still be the groove. Good to see a prime example of that being posted on here. Oh and one more thing: I saw a few of you say that it looked a little too "random". I hear you on that, but the beauty of soloing is the fact that it is a random, singular, explosive burst of musical energy. Not coming from the brain, as much as it is from the soul. You can calculate every last note if you would like to, and it would probably sound just as good. But it would lack that moment of sincerity between you and the audience. It wouldn't be personal. I say be random and spontaneous. it makes the show that much more personal. :bassist:

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I totaly aggree.

10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Um...No.

Billy is a wanker. IMO. John doesn't take many solos. and the ones he does take are in and out in a matter of seconds. Billy's last for ages.

Mark

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021