1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Killer overdrive pedal soon to be available!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Metropolis_488, Nov 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK, FIRST AND FOREMOST - I do NOT make any money from this and I am in no way affiliated with this company other than the fact that my brother is involved (he and his partner are the company).
    My brother does not send me any type of "kick-back" or anything! Actually, my brother and I hardly talk to each other, but I still want to see him do well and this pedal smokes everything I have ever played.
    I am just sharing an experience that I think alot of people will dig.

OK, so my brother and his friend started a pedal company recently (it's called Jetter Gear) and the first pedal they are putting out is an overdrive (it's called the Gain Stage). His friend designed it and it has a completely different circuit than the typical tube-screamer clone (which, basically every overdrive pedal is).

They built it for guitar, but I had a chance to play it with a bass and all I can say is WOW!

This is not a fuzz but an OD...I A/B'ed it with my Fulltone Bassdrive (which I love, BTW) and here is what I can say-
    1) when the effect is on, the Gain Stage retaines the tone of your instrument much better than the Bassdrive did.
    2) the gain stage has much more flexability - you can switch between hard and soft clipping, and it can go from a volume boost (very little OD) to just about a Fuzz level of OD.
    3) with the OD on, you still get a tight bottom. By comparison, my Bassdrive will sound flubby at times...so low register runs are kind of farty. the Gain Stage was tight and articulate.

the link to their website:
    http://www.jettergear.com/

I don't think that they are available just yet (I don't have one...and, YES I have to buy my own).

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    If it's better than my Hematoma, I'll buy 3.

3. Never played through a Hematoma, but I am preaty sure that it is op-amp based and basically just a modified tube-screamer (as is my Bassdrive, the Wooley Mamoth, etc)

4. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    This post is missing the three bits of information that could really help move any units.

1) Bass Sound Clip
    2) How Much?
    3) When?

5. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Uh, I am pretty sure the Mammoth is not a TS derivative; it's not even an OD. You're otherwise right that a majority of OD pedals, boutique or otherwise, have a TS design.

6. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Honestly I don't care if it's a derivative of some dude's fart, if it sounds good it sounds good.

That being said I'm turning into a bit of an overdrive whore, and if this pedal really is the cheese, I'll pick one up and give it a whirl.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Fulltone Bassdrive
    Xotic BB Bass Preamp
    Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
    Moollon Bassdrive
    And a dozen others

Yep.

8. eshears

eshears

Jul 30, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Is Jetter Gear based in Walla Walla? Or somewhere else in Washington?

9. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals

Damn, you took my idea. It all started with the movie Airheads with the comment about farting on a snare drum. I figured why not on a bass?

10. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Well, it could be an "OD"... I mean, the Mammoth is an excessively high dosage of fuzz.

:bag:

11. 1) When i get one, you'll get sound clips...like I said, it's my brother and even I don't have one yet.
    2) Not sure exactly how much, but I know around $200 (that's what most of these high-end OD's are going for in the Guitar world).
    3) When? now...sort of. OK, their distributer has the pedal's in stock, however he has not updated his website yet. You can still order them manually from the guy (e-mail or phone). My old guitar player back in NY ordered one this way last week...not sure if he has it yet, but he should get it before this week is over.

12. Jetter Gear is NOT based in Washington. I have only lived in WA for the last two years (moved here from NY).

I guess you could say that they are based in Atlanta. That is where the designer of the circuit lives.

Just as an FYI, back in the 80's, my brother's partner (the guy that designed the circuit) had an amp company called Bedrock Amps. Alot of big-time guitar players used them (Aerosmith for one). Due to reasons unknown to me, he disolved the company (maybe he got tired of making them as I think he was making them all by hand by himself?). Now, if you do a search for Bedrock amps on the net, you'll find that these have become highly collectable and guitar players pay outragous amounts for used ones if/when they find one...kind of like what's going on with used Wals right now...

13. +1
    And as this pedal has a totally different cicuit, it has a totally different sound...not that the other's are bad (like I said, I love my Bassdrive), but the Gain Stage kills the TS clones.

14. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    There are some clips on the site:
    http://www.jettergear.com/sounds.cfm#

Joe

15. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
  16. Yeah, it's not really the same...that's why I didn't mention it...:ninja:

17. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Its too much money for an OD, imo. It'll only ever have niche appeal.

Also, I dont buy this "My brother's made an OD and its his first pedal and its the SHIZNIT" stuff.

18. Mmmm $40 DOD 250

19. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Mmmmm decent value but hardly a godsend.

20. Toasted – $200 is pretty much the range for most boutique OD’s (Bassdrive, etc. the Mammoth is around $350 if I remember correctly). If that’s too much for you, ok. However there are many pedals breeching the $200 mark that have a wide enough appeal to be more than a “niche” market item.

Also, you don’t have to buy the whole “my brother made a pedal…” thing. You also don’t have to buy the fact that he’s an electrical engineer. You also don’t have to buy the fact that the co-designer produced highly sought after boutique amps. You also don’t have to buy the fact that any kid with a small understanding of circuits, capacitors, op-amps, soldering iron, desire to do so, etc. can build an OD pedal. You also don’t have to buy the fact that, after 15 years of playing the instrument, I have developed somewhat of a discerning ear for tone. You also don’t have to buy the fact (is this getting annoying yet? :D ) that as a prior studio musician in Atlanta and Los Angeles, my brother may understand a SMALL amount about tone and that he would never put anything out for sale that he wouldn’t use himself. You also don’t have to buy the pedal.

-American superiority complex

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.