Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

killer strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassboy_jordan, Jan 24, 2002.

highest quality strings

Poll closed Feb 3, 2002.
  1. DR

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  2. D'Addario

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. GHS

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. Dean Markely

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  5. La Bella

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. Ernie Ball

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. I've used DR high-beam and lowrider strings for about a year now, and I'm ready to try something different just for the sake of it.
    So, i was wondering if anyone out there had any thoughts on to what strings sound killer that i should try out, and why.

2. I did not vote because the strings of my choice aren't on there...

Warwick Black Label

3. and the reason: they sound great ;)

Very clear and balanced sound with nice growl ( if you want it )

due to their relatively low tension i'd go for the M gauged ones (.045" .065" .085" .105")

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you like DR's, you consider Pedulla SS roundwounds.

I just received a set from juststrings.com yesterday. BIG full tone, tons of bass and, strangely, they don't have that "piano string zing" right out of the box. Very cutting edge to their sound but not harsh or trebly.

What's odd is they sound almost identical to the strings that came with my new Lakland Skyline. :confused:

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Maybe Mike P and Dan L are in cahoots?

:D

6. rickbass

You're right, Brendan - the string making world is an oligarchy. Obviously, Lakin doesn't have his own string winding machines.

The silks are different, (Lakland = gray, Pedula = black). Not that a single maker couldn't just use different colors.

But if they are by the same maker, they are at least "different enough" to give some variety. The DR's are so "zingy" when fresh. (I would guess DR makes Pedullas judging by the string characteristics and the brands that are reco'd in the papers that accompany the Skylines).

I appreciate them spec'ing their own strings. I was just looking for something where the D and G had some more "authority." I'm so tired of wussy D's and G's.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Maybe that should have been a ;) not a :D...

But I hear you on the wimp D...I never seem to get anything out of that. I get some gump outta my G, because it's just higher, but when I'm doing my thing on the A and D...the D seems so...lost.

8. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    I didn't vote, but i did use DR strings, for over a month now i've been using flats (TI Jazz). They have opened a whole new dimension to my sound. They (the TI's) have the THUMP of a flat but still sound very musical. Most flats just have the thump sound to them. Flats are not for all, but you should try them at least once. (just my 2 cents)

9. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I've always had great success with DR strings, mostly Hi-Beams on a 4. They sound really punchy and bright without being too bright, and the tone lasts forever. I think my current set has been on there a couple years now (not that I play that 4-string much any more).

I tried a set of the D'Addario Slowounds on my 5 and didn't care for the tone, so I'll be putting some Sunbeans on there next.

10. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    DR strings are great... (and I voted for them) but I prefer my cheap, smooth, and bright ernie balls. Sure they don't last long, but they're easy to play on and they sound great the first few weeks you have them.

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    From that list I'd pick DR, but MY faves are Pyramid Pyrasound Funk (.035, .055, .075, .095) stainless steel.

Pyramid is one of the few companies that actually <b>make</b> theit own strings, apart from GHS, Rorosound and a few(!) others.

GHS does the majority of OEM strings IIRC.

12. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    BEst strings I always use are smith slap masters. If you want tone, and long lasting tone, go with these. extremely bright, to bright for some.

13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    D'Addario Slowounds.

14. A maker, such as GHS? Where both Lakland and Pedulla strings are made.

I'm not sure about the Pedulla's, but the Lakland strings are custom wound for Dan by GHS. You won't find any GHS strings Exactly like them.

15. rickbass

Thanks, Herm. I was wondering who made them. If anyone has been around the string world, it's you since you've dealt strings.

Yeah, the silks are colored differently. But they are so similar in feel and tone, I included that caveat about a single maker just using different colors.

I hope the Pedullas last longer than the Laklands. Yes, I played the living snot out of the Laklands in two weeks, but I always wipe down my instrument and strings after playing.

No telling how many hands had been on the strings while the bass was waiting for me to buy it at Bass Central, though.

16. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    i love my DR's. There really bright.

17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I like my Rotosound Swing 66's quite a bit, but I've played basses with DR hi-beams and thought they were quite nice.

I think I'll try them out on my bass when I need a new set of strings, and that should decide which I'll be sticking with.

I'm all about being very bright, but not really too edgy. :)

18. Another vote here for Slowounds.

19. hmjuice

hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    I've been using Hi Beams for over a year now and they just last for months. I play 4 nights a week with gigs and rehearsals and they just keep on going:D . Well worth the extra change.

I just strung up one of my 5 strings with the new Marcus Miller series and they're big. Almost too big, I have to roll off the highs a little but the mids are more precise.:confused: It may have something to do with the ash body and maple board as well.

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    I love my DR Sunbeams. round core that's somewhat bright and soft feeling, yet lasts long, but nickel wrapped that mellows the tone. (how's that for bad grammar?) i cant get enough, its my sound.

but lots of guys in my area have been buzzin' about Thomastik infelds. their regular set actually starts at .43 rather than .45, so it'd be interesting to see how they fare. alot of people love their flats on fretless, but are mixed on their roundwound for fretted. i'll try and post back to y'all.