1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

killer strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Scoly, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Scoly

Scoly

Mar 6, 2013
    Thomastic rules

2. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    indeed

3. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Or not.

String choice is so personal. I like the sound of TIs on other people's basses, but abhor them on mine. I've tried to like them several times, but absolutely despise the way they sound on my bass. Love the way they feel, hate the way they sound.

4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Newtonestrings rule!
    ...they really do :).

5. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    I'll have to check them out, never even heard of them.

LaBella Jamersons are the goo for Motown and Classic Rock, Black Diamond rounds are amazing for Country, and Sadowsky Black Label flats are astounding for everything else.

6. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    I was treated to play a bass fitted with TIs and I did not like the feel. Just too loose under the fingers for me, but that is their thing I gather, so if YOU like them more power to YOU.

GHS uber alles!

7. Having strings rules.

8. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    FTW!

9. KodyAudette

KodyAudette

Apr 30, 2012
    Albuquerque
    Yes, I'm definitely a fan of having strings over having no strings.

Particularly midway through a set when I started with all my strings and end up with less strings.

That being said, I'm heartily entrenched with Circle Ks. They're great!

10. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    love the sound
    hate the rubbery feel
    so no

11. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    ?

12. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    IMO if you like to play a lot of fast bass like Rush or Yes fingerstyle, the Ti's can be challenging. I imagine using a pick and picking closer to the bridge will help. I love the tone of TI's but they were just a tiny bit too floppy for my style of playing.

13. zfunkman

zfunkman

Dec 18, 2012
    +1!

Been using TI Jazz Flats on all my basses for years and love everything about them. I've tried others but always go back to TI's.

14. zfunkman

zfunkman

Dec 18, 2012
    I disagree. I use them and can play very fast with my right hand and I play exclusively with my fingers.

15. I like TIs and don't mind the floppiness at all, but I prefer heavier gauge La Bella's for the sound.

16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Labella's for me on everything but my Hofner I like Pyramid Golds on that young lady.

17. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I'm sure it's mostly just me and My style. I play Quadruplets on my RIC and I play on the Neck side of the pickup cover. I can't get quite comfortable on the bridge side of the cover. I should have really removed the cover and tried that. I really did love the tone and Growl from the TI's.

18. Schecter87

Schecter87

Mar 29, 2013
    Would it be a good idea to use ghs pressure wounds in a fretless or should I just use flat wounds?

19. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Grosbeak, Yamaha, Fender, BSX. I’m Marc! Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Started using La Bella Deep Talkin' 760FL flats on my basses. They sound superb picked and played fingerstyle. Very deep, and I love how they allow me to get action low without buzz.

Only downside is they're not exactly strings for slapping - not that I do that so much anyway...

20. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    TimSuper Alloys rule the round wound world for me. I like TIJf's enough but play LaBella tape wounds and Chromes a lot more. Have two fretless basses with TIJf's and with the proper setup and a light touch they work nicely. Love the mid's in particular, much more complex harmonically than most if not all the other strings mentioned in this thread

but Chromes and frets rock ...