1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Killface Bass OD, Klon-based

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by StayLow, Sep 28, 2016.

1. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Haven't seen this mentioned before, search returned no threads. Seems new & perhaps worth checking out. Has anyone?

I don't know much about the Klon sound or circuit, other than hearing what sounds to me like fantastic sounds out of the IdiotBox Han-Taun - Han-Taun Overdrive The Killface seems much more subtle.

Killface

Killface_Top.jpg

The Killface is a Bass-tuned version of our popular Kingdom overdrive, a transparent overdrive that adds unicorns and fairy dust to your signal. Joking aside, it really brings to life your guitar and your tube amplifier in ways you've never experienced.

The Killface isn't quite a Klone in the strictest sense. The circuit design is very similar to the original Klon Centaur and retains many of its characteristics while including some enhancements. Unlike the Klon, the entire audio chain is run on a higher voltage spread allowing for more headroom. A clipping switch has been added to allow for different hard clipping options. An overdrive switch allows you to add soft clipping to the feedback path of the IC, allowing for earlier and smoother breakup. Finally, the true-bypass footswitch allows you to keep your signal chain completely clean when its not engaged.

Features:

• Tunes for Bass players
    • Overdrive and clipping options
    • Handwired Construction
    • Quality hand-wired open frame jacks
    • Power: Standard 9 volt DC/ negative center, NO internal battery option.
    • 3PDT True Bypass Footswitch
    Dimensions:

2.4"W x 4.4"H x 1.2"D

Driven Crane and gregmon79 like this.
  2. I think it's a fairly new pedal for them and Fox Pedals is pretty small company at this point. The first one (just a modified Kingdom) was done for one of the guys from Temple boards that is a bass player and I think they decided to do a few batches at first. Obviously some bass players are digging it. Just not TB forum members.

I have to say I love the look of all the pedals that they do. Those graphics are great.
    I think it sounds good too... I just don't know how many low gain dirt pedals I can justify. (It's funny as I also would love to have a Han-Taun because of the awesome looking graphic)

3. Sindhu Partomo

Sindhu Partomo

Mar 10, 2015
    Indonesia
    I wonder how it sounds with a more modern sounding setup.

4. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    First I've ever heard of both the company and the pedal. Looks great and sounds fine, but right now I'm happy with my EHX Bass Soul Food (Klon) and Idiotbox Blower Box (Rat) for different flavors and degrees of dirt.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  5. The graphic is killer – looks like a cat to me (must be the eyes, and whiskers),
    but I'm guessing it's meant to be a fox.

I wonder what the story is behind the name Killface...

Just checked the Fox site... very cool branding within the line on the pedals with similar graphics — they should revamp the other pedals' sartorial swagger to have the same style of graphics. There's more of the triangulated/diamond style graphics in the Custom section, too.

Based on the Kingdom (Lion graphic), I'll say that the Killface graphic is indeed that of a cat, not a fox.

6. MGR

MGR Inactive

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Took a chance and bought one off Reverb. I love Klone's but have yet to find one that works really well on bass. Since this is "bass tuned" we'll see how it goes.

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Looks great, but they really need a better demo video.

8. MGR

MGR Inactive

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    I agree, but I took a chance anyway. I don't think that this is a big seller or product for them. In fact, I was very worried they just used a stock Aion electronics PCB and slapped their parts on it. But I checked into it and it does seem to be their own circuit design. We'll see how it goes. I made them a lower offer and they accepted it. That's the beauty of Reverb.com. I'll post an opinion once I get it, but it's not a pedal that reinvents the wheel so I gather it will just be a good basic overdrive sound with not much else going for it.

9. MGR

MGR Inactive

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Killface just came in. Absolutely killer pedal, with the caveat that I just used it for only about 10 minutes on its own.
    It seems to enhance low end so at least that is a benefit. Like all Klon's, just turning it on with zero gain seems to magically enhance the tone and make it beefier. And like all Klons, the gain doesn't get out of hand. Even turned up all the way the sound is highly tight and controlled. I do not like the clipping or OD switches when both are turned to the right, but the stock sound is just what I wanted out of a bass Klon.........juicy, enhanced, smooth, massaged, tight, controlled and highly musical. This pedal is a winner.

rhythmwiz and emjazz like this.
  10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well, I was going to try the Walrus Audio Harvester next, but this might have to come through first.

MGR likes this.
  11. MGR

MGR Inactive

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Just checked out the Harvester bass vid. To me, they're pretty different pedals so I can't say the Killface is better or worse, but regardless the Harvester seems more versatile, so I'd go for that even though I think the killface is the sheeeeit.

emjazz likes this.
  12. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I acquired a Killface a few months ago, but I haven't bonded with it yet. Through headphones, it seemed to rob the basses I was using it with of their high frequencies. But thinking through it now, both basses have Alembic electronics. I got my Les Paul Triumph strung with LaBella flatwounds back from some maintenance, and I'm liking the way it works with the Killface more than the others.

Next steps: 1) Play it through my amp (GK MB-112 II) at rehearsal with the gain all the way down (I wouldn't think to do that) and at other settings. 2) Try it with my passive P-Bass when that gets back from maintenance.

I also have an HBE Hematoma that I like for its boost function but have also never bonded with the overdrive. Unfortunately, despite having a trio to play in, we haven't been able to get together as much as I would like.

13. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Foxpedal sent me a Killface to review. Here's some thoughts.

First off, the Killface comes in very impressive packaging. Upon opening the box you will find the pedal blanketed in an attractive snap enclosure felt bag. Very nice. Other box candy includes a Foxpedal sticker, picks, and pin.

2935C432-4554-4599-B06F-D131D681E5E6.jpeg

Unlike many OD pedals, this one does retain the low end and dare I say, enhances the low end. Like someone said above, even with gain all the way down and turning the pedal on adds some beef to the signal. Nice.

This is more of a mild OD, nothing out of control. Foxpedal describes the Killface as a "transparent" kind of OD and uses words like "natural" to describe it. Descriptive words are hard when describing pedal tone, but I'll go along with "natural". I'd also say it sounds organic as in the opposite of "highly processed". Again, very nice. The breakup is very smooth and never harsh.

892B1E15-A783-4BBA-9D2E-CA8557A86313.jpeg

Overall, the tone is on the darker side of things. Reminds me of the SolidGoldFX Beta in that regard. The tone knob on the Killface helps bring back in some highs... a little. You'll be better off having an EQ post the Killface to bring back some of the highs if necessary. I've got a Linden EQ behind the Killface and it is tonal bliss. My biggest complaint is how dark the pedal sounds.

6D3EC63C-3360-4AB8-B22C-4FB4B50B6269.jpeg

There are two switches which allow for some tweaking of the OD and clipping circuits. Between those two switches and the interactive gain control, most would be hard-pressed not to find some killer tones. If you are looking for something that will give you a hint of breakup without the kazoo type of feel this is a contender to consider. It will easily do the tube just past the point of breakup all the way to obvious OD but never sounding harsh or fake. Very nice.

Worth noting that there is enough volume on tap that this could be used as a relatively clean boost.

9E9E154C-446C-403C-8CFD-194AA0AFAB7D.jpeg

Foot switch is the true bypass type. Orange LED.

Not sure why Foxpedal isn't getting more exposure. Their products are high quality, look great, and sound great. Here's a review of their Refinery compressor (which sounds fantastic in front of the Killface by the way): Testing Compressors: Cali, Smoothie, Empress, Diamond, Keeley, FEA, Darkglass, Doc Lloyd, JHS & more

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Mushroo, wmmj and FullTime Tim like this.
  14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    The side jacks and darker sound kill it for me unfortunately. Fix that and they've got something worth checking out.

15. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    Yeah, this thing has no high end to speak of.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021