Killing Joke?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Ostinato, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Any Joke fans out there? I'm an old fan from way back and I've just been listening to some of their new stuff.
    I'm surprised that with all the talk about bands like Mudvayne and Slipknot that there would be more talk in here about these guys. :eyebrow:
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    :eyebrow: You think Mudvayne and Slipknot fans would talk about Killing Joke?! To stereotype a bit, the average Mudknot fan doesn't care about the bands that influenced their favorite band, they only care about there favorite band. I suppose their new stuff does have sort of a "Alt Metal" kinda vibe to it.
  3. genderblind

genderblind Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2004

Too much to say really, and I have no time right now, so I will be back.

depth and heaviness, scary goodness!!!
  4. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Favoriate songs include:

The Wait
    Love Like Blood
    Seeing Red

When they released "Love Like Blood", I couldn't believe with what I was hearing.

One of the coolest bands to walk the face of the earth.
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oh and case anyone didn't know, Killing Joke is the band that wrote the main riff to come as you are... see living in the 80s. ;)
  6. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Fave Killing Joke albums (I haven't heard a lot of their 90's material):

Killing joke (1980)
    Fire Dances
    Extremities, Dirt & Various Repressed Emotions
    Killing Joke (2003)
  7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I haven't thought about that band in a while. I saw the band at the first Police Picnic in Oakville back in 1981. My 11 year old was wearing the well worn concert t shirt the other day.
  8. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i've heard killing time or killing flame, but joke?

9. yeah, but also check out "life goes on" by the Damned, that predated KJ's "eighties"-
    the original source of the "Come as you are" riff? :ninja:
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Damn Damned... I'm not very punk, my zinging Nirvana skills are subpar.
  11. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Man, I wish I could remember it, but my guitarist quotes it all the time. Someone said something along the lines of don't try to emulate your idol, but emulate and listen to your idol's idols. It's an interesting thing to think about.
  12. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Killing Joke has been a serious influence on many of todays (and yesterdays) bands. i dont have a lot by them, but this is making me want to go out and check out some of their stuff.
  13. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Their most recent album has some of the heaviest music they've put out in years. I recommend it highly ;)

...and Dave Grohl plays some right bombastic drums throughout.

14. there's an interview with Youth, on-off Killing Joke bassist (on the early stuff and credited on the above recent album, although guitarist Geordie says he played bass on most of it) in the new issue of the UK BassGuitarMagazine-

however, who's in the pic that accompanies the article?
    I think they've put a pic of the other KJ bassist Paul Raven by mistake- the guy in the pic is playing a Schecter, and Paul Raven is one of their endorsees.
  15. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Don't get me started on The Damned.

I'd give anything to play bass for Killing Joke. That's not to say the current bassist isn't any good. I'm just green with envy.
  16. FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    I've just read on a Dutch bassplayer forum that they performed last weekend in The Hague in Holland at the Parkpop festival (free entrance, 250.000 attendance). Opinions on their gig were rather mixed though. Don't know the band myself though.

Grtz, steven
  17. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I've had the chance to see them twice and they put on a really kick ass show. Despite Jaz's Alice Cooper makeup and the medieval torches he likes to wave around, you can't deny the guy has charisma and a message to boot.

He also conducts/or did conduct orchestras in Prague and New Zealand, how cool is that? I still haven't found any metal, industrial or punk band that sounds as seriously sinister as what these guys put out.
  18. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Hey, I was at school with Paul Raven. He's a year or two older than me. I remember seeing him play with what I think was the first band he was in, called the Neon Hearts, round about 77 when punk was just taking off. Pretty cool guy, last I heard he was living in LA.