1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Killing my buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Meyekul, Jun 8, 2005.

1. I recently made a thread about my Washburn AB-20 acoustic bass that I thought might have a broken truss rod. As it turns out the truss is not broken, it was just way loose. I tightened it up a bit and it seems to have good tension now, wheras before it would just turn with no resistance. However, I still can't seem to get rid of the fret buzz.

It happens all over the fretboard, but mostly open strings and the first few frets. I also noticed that if I strike the string horizontally (as if you were strumming) it isn't as bad as vertically (like slapping or popping). I've turned the truss rod a rotation or two since I've been working on it, and I'm afraid to tighten it any more since I'm not seeing much improvement thus far.

So, should I keep adjusting the truss or look into other things? I noticed the bridge piece is worn, there are big grooves under each string, and it has a crack under the E (top) string, so I'm going to replace it when I find/make a new one. I don't think the bridge is the only problem though, but while I'm messing with that, should I raise the bridge enough to eliminate the buzz or is there something else I should look into? I like low action, so any solution besides raising the strings more would be great.

2. The relief is more than a couple business cards, so lowering the relief should help with the fret buzz? It seems like that would make it worse. Or do I just need to fix the relief and then raise the strings at the bridge?

Also, do you know anywhere I can buy a new piece for the bridge? You know what I'm talking about, the plastic piece that the strings rest on at the bridge. Is it hard/wise to make one myself? What material should I use?

3. I'm sure the saddle needs to be replaced, it has grooves worn in it from the strings and its cracked on one end. So, I'll probably just make one myself if I can't find an exact replacement. I'd like to make a sturdier one, would bone work well? I'll tweak the relief some more over the next few days, I'm just so paranoid that I'm going to break something... I hold my breath and cross my fingers while turning the truss rod :)

Thanks for all your help :bassist: