Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

killing new DR strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Jun 1, 2001.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i use DR Lo-rider's, and i love them and will never use any other kind of string, but i HATE how they sound when they're new!!! does anyone else agree? how do you "KILL" a string quickly? i tried tuning the new string (a G i broke) up to D for a night and it didn't do anything, i tried rubbing it hard to put some hand grease into it and it didn't work. will only time kill this string?

it's just wierd because all my other strings were put on at the same time and are aged to perfection, and then my top string sounds like ass. :(

jason

2. If you have a variable sweep mid, dime your mids and sweep the frequency band until the awful sound is worst, then cut there 3 or 6 dB. With my setup, the new DR Low Rider G string sounds like a bass string should sound when I cut at 1350 Hz.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

jason - How would you describe the sound of G when it starts to act up? I may have the same thing going on with DR's.

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I tried Fat Beams for the first time yesterday...don't like em. They sound too close to the High Beams for me. I am going back to Lo Riders for keeps until something better comes along.

5. rickbass

seamus - How new is the set?

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    They are only a day old, but I miss the low end emphasis of the Lo Riders. Also, the tension difference is noticeable, and I was really digging the tightness of the Lo Riders.

I don't slap and pop that much, but the Fat Beams sound awesome for that. I was just experimenting when I bought them, since I like DR's. The Fat Beams are probably the perfect string for others, just not me.

Overall, I think DR's sound great and have admirable consistency. Now that I've tried all their stainless strings, I will settle with the Lo Riders.

7. rickbass

FYI - It took me a week and a half of playing everyday before that "zing" and rawness reminiscent of Hi Beams wore off. After two weeks, the "Marcus" were mellow jello and the mids took over.

8. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    That's cool, I'll leave em on for a few weeks and see how the mellow.

DR's are nice enough that I'll play out any set I try from them despite preference for one favorite overall.