Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Aug 16, 2005.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    So yeah... I am in no way part-Scottish. Not even 1/132nd Scottish, yet I oddly want a kilt. I just think there is something cool as about kilts.

I'm looking at having a friend of mine purchase one for me on the evilBay. Just one of the $45 ones. I'm not looking for the whole traditional Scottish look. I'd probably pair it up with a Primus t-shirt and some hiking boots, for that "***?" reaction.

So... who here has worn a kilt? If you haven't, have you ever wanted to?
  2. Supposedly they're great for breathing and comfort in the summer, but they're socially questionable in the USA.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have worn one and it is a great way to display your Clan/Family pride in a traditional manner. I remember when i wore mine on Saint Patricks day when i was in the Military Academy and the Comendant came over to me and said what are you wearing under their and i told him traditionaly you dont weare anything and again he said what are YOU wearing under it and i said Nothing he sent me back to the Residence to put something on under it :D .
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I have one...

...but it's more of a schoolgirl thing than a scottish thing.
  5. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'm not Scottish either (but Irish, close enough for anyone who cares :p), but I have worn one, in the more traditional sense. Got a ton of odd looks, but damn if it wasn't comfortable! I've outgrown it since... it's just sitting in my closet :(. I should get another one...

6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Heh, just watch out when you wear the wrong tartan in the wrong neighborhood and get your arse whooped by an enraged Scotsman. :D

(At this point in my post I started to write the dialogue of an engraged Scotsman and a bewildered kilt wearer, but realized that, not only can I not speak with a convincing Scottish accent,but I cannot adequately represent one in text, either.)
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Or in my case, an enraged schoolgirl.
  8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Like I said, I'm not in any way Scottish.

I'm hoping to order the kilt pretty soon, in time for the first day of my senior year of high school. Seems like a good occasion.

My parents think I'm nuts, and my girlfriend likes the idea. Wonder why...

And yes, I'll be wearing boxers.
  9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    In the Highland Fusiliers I believe it's still an offence to wear anything under the kilt.

I've worn one a bunch of times, being Scottish. As I got married once I moved over to NY, I had to buy my outfit over here on import. It ended up costing more than my wife's dress :)
  10. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    If you're gonna do it, you might as well do it right. But be careful not to show your sheleighly.

11. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I was in a pipe band (pipe sergaent, actually) for 6 years. Some advice: I absolutely do not recommend buying a kilt online. What you should do is find your local pipe band and see if they are selling any old kilts. Sometimes bands will change tartans, and they'll have a bunch of old kilts lying around that they'd like to get rid of.

By the way, to properly fit a kilt, it must be worn higher up (above the belly button), and the right length should come down to touch the ground plus maybe an extra centimeter to the ground. And get a sporran with it, at least. And the proper hose, and if you really feel like completing it, get the ghillie brogues.

When putting it on, make sure you have a stripe going right down the middle, and the right straps only slightly more to the right than perfectly centered with the left.
  12. A scotsman clad in kilts left a bar one evening fair;
    One could tell by how he walked he'd drunk more than his share.
    He stumbled on until he could no longer keep his feet,
    He staggered off into the grass to sleep beside the street.

And later on two young and lovely girls just happened by;
    One says to the other with a twinkle in her eye:
    'See yon sleepin' scotsman, so strong and handsome built!
    I wonder if it's true what they don't wear beneath the kilt.'

The crept up to the sleeping scotsman quiet as could be,
    Lifted up his kilt above the waist so they could see;
    And there, behold, for them to view beneath his scottish skirt
    Was nothing but what God had blessed him with upon his birth.

They marveled for a moment, then one said, 'We'd best begone;
    But let's leave a present for our friend before we move along.'
    And as a gift they left a blue silk ribbon tied into a bow
    Around the bonnie star of the scot's kilt the lifting showed.

The scotsman woke to nature's call and staggered towards the trees;
    Behind a bush he lifts his kilt and he gawks at what he sees,
    And in a startled voice he says to what's before his eyes:
    'My friend, I don't know where you been, but I see you won first prize!'
  13. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Even though I could pull it off, it'd be a little too gay.
  14. freeballing works for me.

aren't decent kilts pricey?

15. what's that from? I know I heard it on a mix tape.......
  16. Did you go to Kilt College or something? :D
  17. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Did you not read the line about being pipe sergeant in a pipe band? That kind of IS kilt college. ;)

If you want to get the vibe without having to worry about which family or military unit you are claiming to be in by wearing it, your two choices are a real cheapy (Around the local festival circuit they call those 'Clan MacClothworld.') or something I'm actually considering, a product called a UtiliKilt. I've seen a surprising number of construction workers wearing them. They are sort of the kilt equivalent of cargo/ pocket pants. But either way, avoid going in public in a skirt unless you have the muscle to deal with jokers.

Oh #$%^!!! I just went to the website for those and they cost a fortune. I guess I WON'T be getting a Utilikilt. :eek:
  18. jade

Mar 8, 2002
    I saw this little 13 year old kid at a Dropkick Murphys show wearing a plaid mini skirt as a kilt. I think he though he was cool. Lesson: make sure you're not bidding on a plaid mini skirt!
  19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    There is a company in Seattle called Utilikilt. They make some really great, high quality kilts. I won one on a local radio station. I need to go to their office to pick one out, and have it fitted properly. Having it fitted is not a requirement of buying one, it was just part of the package I won.

I'm excited about getting it. I'll opt for a style that is practical, and plain looking. My only concern is that it will make me look meaner than I really am. I'll need to get a pair of Doc Marten type boots to go with it. A 6'5" 300 pound man in a kilt, Doc Martens, and a shaved head doesn't exactly have a "Mr. Rogers" look about him. :D

20. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    That whole family tartan thing is a bit of a red herring and has more to do with 19th century romanticism than true tradition.

People here wear them for weddings, graduations and little else.