Kilts

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cheesemonkey, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Wore a kilt the first time last weekend. they are very comfortable. i like them

2. geeza

geeza

Mar 15, 2009
    Earth, but just barely.
    I'm not wearing pants
    Q. What do you wear under your kilt?
    A. [scottish accent]"Nuttin', mon... can't ye see the dandruff on me shoes?" [/scottish accent]

3. As a Scot myself, I've always been interested in this. I've wanted to get a kilt for the longest time, but it's very expensive for a nice one, and I don't know how to make my own :(

Some day I intend to visit Scotland, while I'm there I'm going to have to pick up an authentic one.

4. They cost just as much over there, sadly. The big deciding factor is the quality of the materials, so the cost is justifiable. But for now, you might want to look into getting a Utilikilt.

5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I have a Utilikilt. I got it for my wedding. It lacks any sort of authenticity,...but I love it. It's quite comfortable in the summertime. I get compliments (mostly from women) on it all the time.

6. I wish I had a utilikilt.

7. fergusmacdonald

fergusmacdonald

Dec 12, 2009
    Hi folks,

Can't profess to know much about a bass, but I do know about kilts.

Unfortunately they are still quite expensive for a traditional hand made kilt in a good quality cloth. However, there are some cheaper alternatives which can be pretty good.

8 yard kilts made from cloth from cheaper mills, about £300.
    5 yard kilts can be between £180 - £300 depending on the cloth.
    Pre-made kilts in wool for £80-£200
    Pre-made kilts in man-made fibres for £40-80.

Without turning this into a blatant sales pitch, we offer pre-made kilts in poly/viscose that are darn good value for money. The fabric is woven tartan, but in a material that looks and feels similar to wool rather than being real wool. Considerably cheaper to make, and a good alternative for people who don't wear them as often.

Also, all the prices mentioned above are including 15% VAT which would be removed if they're being sent to the US from Scotland, although tax may be applicable on entry to the US.

No need to wear anything under them...although watch out for the wind!

Hope this helps, and happy to give more info if anyone needs it.

8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    This thread has intrigued me. I'm currently an almost uninterupted shorts wearer, the switch shouldn't be too challenging, I'm just trying to figure how "Renaissance Faire" I'll end up looking.

9. I managed to get one since I'm part of a local pipe and drum band. And we are planning to go to the world championships in scottland in 2009. I'm pretty excited for it.

10. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Okay, I've been checking out their website, I'd love to get pics of the thing without their stock belt buckle which gives the thing a civil war era look (looking for something a touch more modern). At the risk of seeming really, really weird, got pics of you in a kilt?:ninja:

11. i do but don't have it on my computer yet.

12. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    There's more I think but this is from the wedding pictures uploaded to my photobucket account.

DSC_1871.jpg

There is a minor annoyance in that the belt loops on the Utilikilt are pretty big ~2.5 to 3 inches (my best guess without busting out a ruler). Although you don't need a belt that wide if you have any form of OCD and want to fill out the belt loops you may want to look into getting a belt custom made.

13. I saw a few guys hiking in Kilts when I was on the AT. If course, these "kilts" were closer to "un-bifurcated garments" or basically just shorts with no dividing. They'd wear those on top of spandex or underarmor undershorts (to prevent chafing). I kinda wanted to try that arrangement, as it looks more comfortable. But in the hot weather I wound up going commando anyways, so I would have required something that did it's job as opposed to a wide ring of fabric that did not. I'm sure everyone out there thanked me for it.

14. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    No offense, and it's probably just an American thing, but kilts give me the willies. I mean if you wear one do you have to leave your man card at the desk? :confused:

15. No. A kilt is not a skirt. When you sit down, a Kilt does it's job.

16. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    So they are more like shorts?

17. Yeah, just not divided. That is what the pleats are for.

18. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    It takes a great deal of comfort with oneself and one's sexuality to wear a man skirt. As far as what other people think,....eff em; I don't go to the mall anyway.

Did I mention the compliments,...from members of the opposite sex?

"I like your kilt. Are you wearing anything under there?"
    "Only good girls ask (if you don't get it the innuendo is that bad girls find out)"

Of course then my wife has to apply a beat down.

@Thunderscreech. My Utilikilt is actually surprisingly heavy,...I wouldn't wear it to go hiking, but they do make a lighter weight and hella expensive one.

19. I've always thought of kilts as just being part of Scottish culture.
    Nothing really "gay" about them or whatnot.
    I'm not Scottish (Well, actually, my mother says she found out her family is part Scottish. I'm mainly Italian though.) so I wouldn't wear one, but if I was, I wouldn't see a problem with wearing one if I was trying to keep the culture alive.

Ok, I'm just incredibly curious, is it awkward at the urinal?:bag:
    I don't think I would want to wear anything without a zipper on it.:hyper:

20. Yeah, most of the ones I saw weren't proper kilts. They were MUGS (Mens Un-bifurcated GarmentS) which are manskirts, but I did hear of a couple guys in Utilikilts.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021