Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kim Deal- Under rated?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Sherman, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Sherman

Sherman

Nov 24, 2000
    Could Kim Deal of the Pixies be one of the most under rated bass players? I mean her lines are by far the simplest i've ever heard but she was so suited to the band's style of playing- and isn't that what's important? Does one have to be fancy to be good?

2. she played bass?

she didn't for the breeders.

josphine wiggs did

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The line from "Gigantic" was definitely a good one. She sang on that song too, and she has a hell of a voice.

I agree with you that one doesn't always have to be fancy. Sometimes it's better not to be out in front saying "LOOK AT ME SLAP!". However, there is also something to be said for doing more than just pounding out the root.

Either way, she's still a good bassist from a great band!

4. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Kim Deal's a great bassist.

I love the Pixies.

"Wave Of Mutilation" has a pretty simple bassline but I love that song. :D

5. "here comes your man" and "debaser" are my favorites... gotta love kim deal!

6. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Oh definately! I was just listening to "I Bleed" and that has a nice bassline. Again, simple, but nice.

The thing about her in The Pixies was that she wasn't just 'the bass player standing in the corner', you know? The bass is very upfront on the songs and I really like her background vocals as well. They make her sound likes she's some sweet little girl but her basslines show she can kick your ass if ya don't watch out. :D

7. have you guys seen empire records? at the very end, like during the credits, these two guys are talking music and at one point they complimented pixies basslines, comparing them to the awesome but showy basslines of primus! i was very pleased to hear that bit of musical intelligence.

8. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    The Pixies were hugely influential at the beginning of what became grunge - that whole quiet verse/noisy chorus thing that Nirvana did so well, they got from the Pixies.

And Kim rocked, no doubt about that!

count me in as a bit pixies fan...

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have always thought that her basslines were pretty cool. Nothing complicated, but it all fit so well with the music they were playing. In fact, I liked Doolittle's bass lines so much, at one point, I learned every song off of it. (not that that was difficult to do)
    Maybe I had too much time on my hands.................

Ryan