Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

KIM STONE ------> Accugroove Vs. Euphonic Audio

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shimbaku, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Shimbaku

Shimbaku

Oct 31, 2002
    Will KIM STONE please explain to all why the change to Accugroove over Euphonic Audio? I read that you had Accugroove replace two SWR rentals at a gig "...and the rest was history". If those were Euphonic Audio cabinets, would you have been so quick to replace them? What is the difference in tonal character between the two types of cabinets?

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    This is the *second* Kim Stone "change of endorsement" thread I've seen, and I just don't get it: Why should he have to explain anything to anybody (much less "all")?

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Not just the second Kim Stone leaves EA thread, but the second started by Shimbaku. In fact, Shimbaku has yet to have a post on Talkbass that doesn't have to do with Kim Stone leaving EA for Accugroove. What's up with that?

4. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    Who cares? A company's products do not rely on one person joining / leaving / endorsing the company and it's products (Leo Fender ? ). Those products live / die / are developed / by other individuals in the continuation of the consumer market.

I know little about the people involved and the two company's products and this re-shuffle of staff / endorees is not going to make me any more or less interested in them or their respective companys.

Certainly I don't think any explanantion is needed by any of the parties involved.

5. Geeesh--this is still going on? While we're at it, maybe we can get Oteil to explain why he moved from Ampeg to PEAVEY.

(Twas a joke.)

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

he just wants to understand why. i'd be interested in hearing what Kim would have to honestly say.

then again, i guess Sim's last butt long thread wasnt enough, and i'm too lazy to read thru the whole thing... ;)

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I would imagine Kim would say that he simply wanted to try something different, both are excellent but have a slightly different flavor.

Not that I'm presuming to speak for him, of course . . . but it only makes sense. This really isn't that big of a deal, and I can't believe someone would make such an issue of it.

8. This guy really does have his undies in a bunch about the whole situation.

I thought Kim Stone did give a statement via. Whappo Grande about this in one of the other threads?

I don't see why this man or anyone else has to justify endorsing a new different company to anyone here or otherwise. Besides, his mug is still all over EA's site so perhaps he is endorsing EA *and* Accugroove now.

Sweet deal. :)

9. Shimbaku

Shimbaku

Oct 31, 2002
    if someone cares about a product enough to change over they shouldn't have a problem posting their personal view in defense of a product that they like. Accugroove is new, Euphonic isn't everywhere, and Kim Stone speaks for himself. it would be nice to hear from the horse's mouth, from someone that has been playing bass longer than 10 years and has been around the block. i appreciate the replies, however, this thread is more directed to "EL Whappo" (owner of Accugroove) and Kim. "El Whappo" your website makes many BIG claims. They are funny to read. There aren't any other bass cabinet manufactures that do this. the consumer is often taken off guard by people making "grand claims about their products". In terms of bass cabinets, your comments stand out. So, here's to lighting a fire under your ass. ;)

i just joined recently and am here to stay! i begin with these threads on Euphonic Audio Versus Accugroove. thank you for the replies! i am happy that readers would like to hear different threads from me and i will start other controversial topics in the future. i look forward to debate, observation, inquiry, looking outside the box.

Shimbaku

10. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Shimbaku, why don't you just phone AccuGroove? The number's on their web page, and Mr. Whappo Grande himself will answer.

I can't make direct comparisons because I haven't played any EA gear. But I have played the AccuGroove cabs side-by-side with my Acme Low B-2s, with my own amp and basses (and Whappo's personal amp and basses), and they are certainly everything that AccuGroove claims. Acme makes fine cabs, and their low bass extension beats the Accugrooves, but the Acmes don't sound as good across the audio spectrum as the AccuGroove line. And no one's paying me to say that.

Now if I could just find the money to buy one or two... til then, the Acmes will have to do.

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Unfortunately, this is totally untrue. They pretty much all say as grand of things as they can, I mean that's business, right? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what "monster lows, slamming mids and screaming highs (that aren’t brittle)" is supposed to mean. I love that sort of thing though - the bass is loud! the midrange is loud! the treble is loud! It's like pushing all the sliders on a graphic EQ up. This amp goes to 11!

The specs look pretty good, I'm especially impressed by the Tri-110 and 112. How they managed to get 5-6dB more efficiency than Acme in their 1x10, with the same frequency response, is a mystery. I wonder what the low-end power handling of those boxes is.

They could use a good editor too: it's "casters", not "castors", and what exactly is "incredibility loud"? :)

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Unfortunately this isn't exactly controversial. Mark relayed a conversation with Kim in the other thread. AFAIK Kim didn't come here and confess as to why he made the switch to EA and even if he did I'd bet some folks would look at it as marketing fluff.

As far as lighting a fire under Mark's ass... I can't see this accomplishing your mission;)

If you're really this concerned with what Kim uses and why, he's not that hard to get in touch with. I just wonder if you'll believe him direct.

Again, you already have remarks from Kim in the last thread... what else would you like? I'm sure responding to being called out by you is right at the top of his and Mark's to do list.

As far as hype goes, if you've never read that from any other manufacturer... you aren't looking hard enough:D

13. This is starting to sound very anti-Accugroove.

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Oh don't worry, if I went to any of the other speaker manufacturer's websites I'd come back with at least as much criticism. :)

15. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    And, now he's not with Peavey any longer. Where did he go? I wonder.....

16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Man, what is up with you? Neither AccuGroove nor Kim Stone *owes* you or anybody else any sort of explanation at all about this change in endorsement. The onus is not on either of them to defend one damn thing. If your question is *more directed* toward them, why on earth are you posting it in a *public* forum like this? Why would you expect to get an answer here? Why not go to AccuGroove's site or the Rippingtons' site and ask there?

17. I have a feeling that our boy Shimbaku falls into one of two categories:

1. Euphonic Audio employee;
    2. Kim Stone fanatic who purchased a whole EA rig upon seeing the Rippingtons and who felt like a chump after he saw Stone in an Accugroove ad.

The category to which Shimbaku belongs is irrelevant; the proper response is "MEH MEH MEH."

18. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Gone for a couple of "get away" days & look at what happens. LOL

First, as a manufacturer, I try to be very careful about what I say on these treads. Why? Even when one is careful, things can get misunderstood. There are some things I can say out right & some things I have to be more diplomatic about. You don't, but you don't own part of the company; I do.

Second, I'm not an EA basher. On the contrary, I have respect for them & feel they have nice gear. We are both trying to offer something different from the other companies, as well as each other.

Third, "El Whappo" your website makes many BIG claims. They are funny to read."

That's the point my friend! If I can't have fun while making incredible cabinets...what's the point?

Fourth, "There aren't any other bass cabinet manufactures that do this. The consumer is often taken off guard by people making "grand claims about their products". In terms of bass cabinets, your comments stand out."

Every comment that is posted on our site is from a pro user that has played our gear. I don't expect everyone to believe me, but there it is.

Fifth, "So, here's to lighting a fire under your ass."

Well...ya better ask me what I had for lunch before ya play with matches. ;)

Lastly, please call me anytime, I'd be happy to talk. (408) 996-1650 Between 8 & 5:00 PST.

Whappo

19. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    In my limited experience, the frequency response is not quite the same. As I said above, to my ears the Acmes go deeper. I've compared them side-by-side in the same room with the same gear - in some cases, with both brands of cab plugged into the amp at the same time - so I'm reasonably confident of this.

There are a number of tradeoffs that a speaker builder can make. Andy Lewis of Acme made one set of tradeoffs, emphasizing low bass extension at the cost of efficiency, to come up with the Low B series. AccuGroove made a different set of trades and got more efficiency (and IMHO better overall sound quality), but the cabinets cost more to build, and maybe don't go as deep.

The Tri 110 is the AccuGroove cab that impressed me the most. It sounds mighty sweet. I actually preferred it to the Tri 112. I'd love to own a pair. I'm saving my pennies...

20. There you have it Shimbaku. Call Whappo. the answer you want cannot be more direct than that. That way we can spend less time reading your "controversial" threads.:D