KIM STONE... Leaves Euphonic Audio

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shimbaku, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Shimbaku

Oct 31, 2002
    Isn't it amazing how this guy was talking up a storm about EA cabinets just a little while back and turned on a dime in no time to Accugroove.
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm with SMASH on this one. I don't think Accugroove is paying anyone to use their gear (I dout EA did, either). An artist price might be cheaper, but I doubt they are free.

And, EA didn't become "poo" simply because Kim Stone found something he likes more. I doubt he'd badmouth them if you talked to him.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Glockenklang don't pay anything to "endorsers"...
  4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'm sure an endorsement from an artist can sometime mean they actually like and use a product. ;)
  5. When I first heard of Kim Stone, he was using Eden gear. He thought it was God's gift to bassdom. Then he went to EA, now Accugroove. I don't think anybody signs a lifetime endorsement contract. I know I've used a ton of different gear, and when you first get it it's always "the best thing since (insert cliche of choice here)!" So I don't think it's unusual at all. I'd say that EA doesn't have a very wide product line, so if you like the little they do, good, but there's alot of us that like a good ol' 18" sub! Or an SVT. So Kim's tastes change too. Good for him.

Stay Low.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So let's see ... why would someone endorse a product if they didn't get free gear? If Samick wants Nathan East to be seen playing one of their basses, seems to me they're going to have to give him some basses and a couple million cash.
  7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    as an endorser for ( past and present)

i can say this- unless youre Flea- you will pay for your GK amps- its a big discount- maybe cheaper than dealer cost - but you pay-

Mike Tobias will NOT spend 4 months building you a bass and just hand it over free- i dont blame him- i wouldnt take one.
    maybe some BIG names get free gear- but not everyone- by a long shot- and i dont know of any companies paying a lot of $$ for endorsement- i worked with Ronnie Foster- ( keyboardist) and he ensdorses Yamaha , Roland and JBL- now , HE gets free gear- but they are not handmade basses- for one-
    i seriously doubt Mr Stone went with the name for the $$- Kim can afford whatever gear he wants
  8. What was the best thing BEFORE sliced bread?
  9. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Lets not forget, he made a stop at Tech SoundSystems somewhere during all that....
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I was reading a statement from Roger Sadowsky and he was saying that Jason Newstead has something like 7 or 8 Sadowsky basses and he paid full price for all of them. After the 7th one Roger finally gave him one free and now they jokingly say that they have the buy 7 get one free program.

brad cook

ps - my numbers might be one off...
  12. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Allow me to shed a little light. First, Kim's a personal friend, as well as an outstanding bass player.

Although EA makes nice gear, Kim was looking for something that would facilitate his sound better. (How’s that for being diplomatic?) He heard us at our Jan. NAMM show booth & fell in love our cabinets. A couple of months later I brought an El Whappo to a Rippingtons concert where he was using two rented SWR Goliath III cabs. At sound check, he replaced both of them with one El Whappo & the rest is history.

We are a small company & we don’t pay Kim, Bill Dickens or anyone else to use our gear. If you like them, you buy them.

Hope this helps a little,
    Mark (Whappo Grande)
  13. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL

I just visited the Accugrove site and saw a photo and endorsement from Kim. If I am to believe your statement, then he is promoting Accugrove for free?
  14. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    When he says "they pay for them" he probably means they get them at cost. I'd endorse for free if I was getting stuff at cost.
  15. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    There are companies that "Pay" players to use their gear in addition to giving them free equipment.

A "top level" artist may get a discount from us, but they are not free. (Anyone can get a discount from the dealer, is that such a big deal?) I'm not only one of the owners, but a bass player of 32 years. Therefore, I will not work with an artist that I don't have the highest respect for or that doesn't think our cabinets are the best they've ever heard.

Obviously there are players out that will use products because they are free & that’s all they care about; whatever. My only point on this tread is that Kim loves our gear. He’s not using them for any other reason, except they work for him.

16. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002

WOW... What Concept!!! :p
  17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I had the good fortune to meet and chat with Kim Stone a couple of years ago. What a great guy, terrific player, but a downright terrific human being.
  18. Kim is one of my favorites. Read one of his interviews and liked how he keeps things in perspective as a person and as a musician.

Plus, he got to play with the Rippingtons and with Spyro Gyra - my CD collection is totally dominated by those two groups.

Funny thing about the endorsement discussion... I get all my gear for free and get endorsement royalties as well....

:eek: :rolleyes: ;)
  19. Shimbaku

Oct 31, 2002
    As an observation, ~1994 everyone from Victor Wooten to Jimmy Haslip was playing SWR or Hartke at Jazz festivals. Perhaps, it's just the nature of the beast that drives the industry.
  20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Could've been rentals.

Around 1994 how many choices were there? Both of those were fairly well respected at the time and were commonly provided by pro sound companies for those types of gigs.

I've never really understood why some have an almost impossible time believing that someone could endorse a product simply because they like it. I'm sure some companies give away gear for free or at a greatly reduced price. That doesn't remove the possibility of another arrangement.