1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kimberly

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chuginator, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Chuginator

Chuginator

Sep 13, 2010
    Can someone help me identify the year of this cheap piece of crap? I know that Teisco manufactured Kimberlys, but other than that, I have zero information on it. I've seen some that were close, but weren't quite like this one. Knobs aren't original, and I took the metal bridge plate off because it was interfering with my fingers. Sorry for the bad picture.

Kimberly.jpg

Interestingly enough, still one of my favorite basses. My brother almost wrapped it around a telephone pole after it went out of tune during a concert. I bought it from him for $15 over 20 years ago. Taught myself everything on it - at one point I had every bass part from the original Rush album up through Grace Under Pressure memorized. Proof right there that if someone has the will power, they can learn on a POS instead of having to have a Rickenbacker right away! ;)

I think if my house started on fire I'd jump in to save this bass. My Rickenbacker and other basses can be replaced, this one can't (sentimental).

Thanks, guys-

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Cool bass. I'd guess later 60's early 70's, Made in Japan (like 100 other brands in that era)

Unique body though, don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it...

3. Chuginator

Chuginator

Sep 13, 2010
    Thanks! It plays pretty darn fast. Love that short neck. Who cares if the upper frets buzz like hell. :D

I've read about Teisco and Kawai, but still can't identify the year. Maybe I never will.

4. This made me laugh! It's like you hate it, but you love it :p

5. Chuginator

Chuginator

Sep 13, 2010
    Good observation! However, these days there's definitely more love than hate. At one point (1983?) my brother and I stripped the fingerboard off and we were going to make it a fretless, but we chickened out and glued it back on! LOL.

With Rotosounds and plenty of EQ I've actually gotten some pretty mean sounds out of this thing.

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Upper frets buzz, huh? Have you had it in for a set up, or messed with the truss rod?

I have a 60's "Bradford" electric guitar (same deal, MIJ, 60's, same factory, etc). The upper fret buzz was AWFUL. The truss rod wouldn't adjust the neck any further, but my local tech did a heat treatment over a few days and got that thing straight as an arrow.

Now I can shred up and down the high frets like Steve Vai (except I can't actually play like Steve Vai ;)) and the neck has stayed in place for over a year now. It's a sweet guitar now, and my main studio axe.

7. Chuginator

Chuginator

Sep 13, 2010
    Definitely have NOT taken that in for a setup; not worth it! Haven't tinkered much with the truss rod either. Doesn't get played a whole lot these days anyway.

That's OK though, I think annoying fret buzz adds character. :rolleyes:

8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    A local shop just hung a Kimberly up the other day for a bit over $200.00. It's a huge beastly looking thing..kinda like a mini mothman bass :) Big hollowbody with goofy horns,switches but retro and kinda cool. I had never heard of them till I saw it and now this post on them..funny.

9. tiller

tiller

Jan 11, 2008
    tiller
    my wife's name is kimberly

10. Chuginator

Chuginator

Sep 13, 2010
    LOL!! Yeah, and the fact that there is an artist by the name of "Kimberly Bass" doesn't help my internet searches much! :p

11. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    There are companies (or boats) in the world that were named for the founder's female relative.

Maybe that store goes along with the 'sucker' mentality, and they're waiting for someone to jump off a turnip truck on the corner, and come in to buy it. You know, there's one born every day...

12. Chuginator

Chuginator

Sep 13, 2010
    Not sure why I'm searching for a damn bass guitar instead of sleeping at 3:30am, but...

From here: http://www.myrareguitars.com/the-story-of-kawai-guitars

Yes, I realize it's not a bass, but take a look at the shape of the headstock and the shape of the body. Wonder if mine could be '68, '69-era?

1967-kawai-concert-electric-guitar-01.jpg

I'm tired.

13. Chuginator

Chuginator

Sep 13, 2010
    I'm going with 1968, so I was one year old when it was made. No wonder I have an affinity for it.

And my original story wasn't quite true, my good brother GAVE me the bass, I didn't pay him a dime for it!

Thanks to those who responded.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021