Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kinal 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve S, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I purchased a Kinal 5 string last year and it is a beautiful bass. Swam ash, natural finish, pau ferro fretboard. However in the three bands that I play in, I use my American Deluxe Jazz because the low B doesn't fit into the music. I have a lot of fun playing the Jazz and the Kinal stays at home. Another bassist has offered to trade me his Stingray 4 string for the Kinal. The Kinal costs me $1600. Would I be able to receive close to that figure if I just sell the bass?

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Your used Kinal 5-string is worth more than a used Stingray 4-string. If you want a 4-string Stingray, you shoud be able to sell your Kinal for at least enough money to buy a new Stingray-4, and then get exactly the features you want and full warranty etc...

3. That Kinal of yours isn't a fretless, is it? Mike just phoned me yesterday in response to email I sent him inquiring about a fretless MK5. I'm curious as to how it compares to the Jazz bass in terms of playability and tone.

4. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    No, it's fretted, 24 frets and passive. It has Bartolini pickups, ABM bridge and Hipshot Ultralite tuners. The tone is darker than the Jazz and the five piece neck is a dream to play. I gigged with it hours after receiving it from Mike and it performed wonderfully. I'm just used to a four string with maple fretboards after playing them for over 30 years.

5. Steve, thanks for the info. I too am a diehard Jazz 4-stringer, and the change hasn't come easy. It started early this year with the purchase of a 6 string, which I promptly got rid off. I finally settled for 5 and have a fretted 5 on order, and am now looking to complete my arsenal with a fretless 5.