Kinal? Anyone heard or own one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Case, May 26, 2000.

1. Bass Case

Bass Case

May 20, 2000
    BP Mag. gave a great reveiw a couple months ago to a Kinal bass, saying it is at par w/ basses $2K more than it. Yet no one I know has seen or heard of them. Have any of you? If so, what is your take on them?
  2. Hey,

Bass Alone in San Diego has them, and I played a walnut 5-string a few weeks ago. It had two Duncan Jazz p/ups and a Bart pre-amp. Controls were two volumes and a sweepable tone (a mid-kinda thing). Almost like an old Pedulla. It was 34" but the B-string really spoke well. A little on the heavy side (maybe the walnut top?), but the construction was nice. Great slap tone. Overall I liked it, and it had a comfy neck, but I was a bit turned off by the shape -- I'm a more traditional guy aesthetically. Even my wife remarked that it looked funky, and she normally wouldn't notice a bass if it had a "clean the bathroom" option on it. [​IMG]

Anyway, I'd take one over an Alembic. It compared sonically (I thought) with the Ken Smith low$$ series with better construction.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Rub it in, andy [​IMG] Must be nice to live near an actual "bass" store.

I had the same problem with the Kinal, that upper horn is kinda funky looking but who knows, maybe I could get used to it.
  4. Sorry, Brad!!! :p I know, I know... John Dimaggio's a SUPER nice guy, and he does a ton of online biz. I bought my Ashdown 2x10 from him, and I'll keep going back.

I wish LA Bass Exchange was a bit closer, but I'll have to "settle" with Bass Alone! The only problem I have with his store is that there's a bit too much "esoteric" stuff. SUPER-funky basses with multiple laminations, modern-art body wings, etc. Lotsa German luthiery (Sprockets-approved!), etc. I wish he'd carry more Lakland, Lull, Pedulla, etc. Oh well, he sure manages to stuff a high drool-factor in his 900+ sq ft.

5. Bass Case

Bass Case

May 20, 2000
    Saw that these are growing in popularity. Wondering if more of you have had a chance to play one. Mainly interested in a five with the Music Man and Jazz pickup combo.