Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kinal? Anyone heard or own one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Case, May 26, 2000.

1. Bass Case

Bass Case

May 20, 2000
    BP Mag. gave a great reveiw a couple months ago to a Kinal bass, saying it is at par w/ basses $2K more than it. Yet no one I know has seen or heard of them. Have any of you? If so, what is your take on them?
    Eric

2. Hey,

Bass Alone in San Diego has them, and I played a walnut 5-string a few weeks ago. It had two Duncan Jazz p/ups and a Bart pre-amp. Controls were two volumes and a sweepable tone (a mid-kinda thing). Almost like an old Pedulla. It was 34" but the B-string really spoke well. A little on the heavy side (maybe the walnut top?), but the construction was nice. Great slap tone. Overall I liked it, and it had a comfy neck, but I was a bit turned off by the shape -- I'm a more traditional guy aesthetically. Even my wife remarked that it looked funky, and she normally wouldn't notice a bass if it had a "clean the bathroom" option on it. [​IMG]

Anyway, I'd take one over an Alembic. It compared sonically (I thought) with the Ken Smith low$$ series with better construction.

-a

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Rub it in, andy [​IMG] Must be nice to live near an actual "bass" store.

I had the same problem with the Kinal, that upper horn is kinda funky looking but who knows, maybe I could get used to it.

4. Sorry, Brad!!! :p I know, I know... John Dimaggio's a SUPER nice guy, and he does a ton of online biz. I bought my Ashdown 2x10 from him, and I'll keep going back.

I wish LA Bass Exchange was a bit closer, but I'll have to "settle" with Bass Alone! The only problem I have with his store is that there's a bit too much "esoteric" stuff. SUPER-funky basses with multiple laminations, modern-art body wings, etc. Lotsa German luthiery (Sprockets-approved!), etc. I wish he'd carry more Lakland, Lull, Pedulla, etc. Oh well, he sure manages to stuff a high drool-factor in his 900+ sq ft.

-a

5. Bass Case

Bass Case

May 20, 2000
    Saw that these are growing in popularity. Wondering if more of you have had a chance to play one. Mainly interested in a five with the Music Man and Jazz pickup combo.