Kinal Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fingerman, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Has anybody tried them? they look great and seem to be reasonably priced. what pick-up preferances? Fralins,Barts or ? Cheers
  2. i don't have any firsthand experience with kinals, but a guy i know from another bass forum has really enjoyed his kinal.

i am not certain what kind of pickups he has, but i do know he has a demeter preamp. he really likes it.

he chose kinal over many other custom manufacturers from playing many different basses. every kinal he played felt more like one that he wanted. bass player reviewed a kinal recently. perhaps you can get your hands on it.

3. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

ask XavierG (i think that's his user name - real cool dude) - i think he owns a few.

i know that there is a lefty kinal on harmony-central(i play lefty) - i would buy it but i am buying a lefty warwick corvette pro from JC575

from what i hear, the kinal's are really nice for the money - you may want to do a lil' search - i did and found a limited amount of posts
  4. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I looked at Kinal basses a few months ago. I even phoned Mike Kinal and had a great discussion. The conversation was terrific and I came away with a very positive impression about his basses (and him).

A few weeks later I tried one out at the NAMM show at an amp manufacturer's booth who was using a Kinal as a test bass. I liked it a lot.Very nice neck, build and playability. It's tough at NAMM to get a real handle on tone though.

Anyway, a few weeks later, I bought something else but the only reason Kinal didn't stay in the hunt was because I didn't have another opportunity to audition his basses - he's not exactly in every bass shop.

I suspect that if you can fully audition his product you will strongly consider it. Of course, you could buy one blind (but I wouldn't).
  5. They are very hard to come by,I have never seen one in any of the shops up here, but I have heard through the grape that they are fantastic and affordable.
  6. Ask XavierG all about them. He is the resident expert around these parts. His blue Kinal is drool-rific!

I was out in Vancouver last year and wanted to go to his shop but was too shy to ask my billets. Stupid me. :mad:
  7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I've played them...

But I can't remember my experience well enough to comment. :D
  8. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Mike is a top class guy who makes a top class Bass. I have played several Kinals that I quite liked
  9. [​IMG]

Same bass, different lighting:

Yeah, Kinal rocks! His attention to detail is impeccable (as I'm sure Tumbao will attest). He puts a lotta love in the basses he builds, and it shows. I've played a few and loved them all. You can't go wrong with a Kinal.
  10. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey Xavier,

That looks like Tarry's bass. . . Do you have the Willis Bartolini in there? That's a great pickup!

Mike Kinal is a fine gentleman and scholar, who makes a great bass. He also makes archtop guitars that are visionary! Cool guy, cool stuff, and with the exchange rate it's really affordable stateside as well.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have a friend who has a very nice Teal Kinal 5 string he's thinking about selling... he's spending more time with his Elrick. I've played his Kinal a few times and it is pretty sweet, I'd buy it but I need another bass like I need Anna Nicole;). Email me for info. He's in Maryland.
  12. Yup! It's got the Willis Bart. There's probably a connection between this one and Chris Tarry in that this one was custom built for Chris Trinidad (who studied with Tarry). Matter of fact, there's a connection to you in that I'll be enjoying this one for a while thanks to the fact that C. Trinidad got himself what, from what I hear, is a pretty nice Mollerup "Orca".
  13. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Whoo, small fishing village or what!
    That's cool. Chris T are both nice guys.

You must mean this one? :D

14. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Since this thread is actually about Mike's basses. Here's a picture to inspire some bass lust!

15. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC

I guess that image didn't load. CLick Here for a great shot of a flamed Kinal 5!
  16. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i met Mike K. at NAMM 2003, great guy. modest as all get out.

i think his basses are fantastic and rank with the best.

i've always wanted one of these:

17. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey, I saw that one when it was in progress!
    Brilliant design. And the F-holes are a lot like what Mike is doing with his archtops now. I think he used the Graph Tech piezos in there.
  18. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Now Fred THAT is cool my friend.
  19. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
  20. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    What happen to the other pots'that were own the bass.?Good looking bass however.