Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kinal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AllodoX, Dec 25, 2001.

1. in 3 months, hopefully, i will be getting the semi hollow dk 5 from him.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Mike makes some fine instruments at very good prices. His stuff is comparable to customs costing hundreds more.

3. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Mike still teaches high school woodworking fulltime; are those some lucky kids? He's a heckuva guy who really cares deeply about what he's doing and his instruments really show it. In a world full of great basses Kinal's are a cut above most.

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The prices on his website are in Canadian dollars, too.

5. actually they're not but they're still good prices.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
  7. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    that SK5-B looks tastey! kind of like a sugar crested muffin.
    but I think Mike Kinal should have called it "Kinaland" as it does look a bit like a borrowed design.

8. from xavier himself
    "Ok fellas, I screwed up. The more I looked at the basses on the site, and then the prices, the less sense it made that prices were in Canadian $. It just seemed a bit TOO reasonable. I just got confirmation from the man himself that I got my wires crossed and the prices are, in fact, in US dollars. Apologies for the mixup. Still, I think the prices are more than reasonable, considering what you're getting."

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Well whadduya know there was a second page to that thread. My bad.:p

10. (old friendly italian voice on)

eat's alright!

(old friendly italian voice on)

i'm still getting one it's just now i have to sell all of my baseball cards and a ball signed by sammy sosa in order to afford it.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The only way that bass looks similar to a Lakland is the J/MM pickup configuration like on the 94 series. The body shape is not Lakland derived.

Of course, the 94 series Laklands are Stingray derivatives, as far as body shape goes.

12. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

sorry Jeff, thats what I see, and I dont mean body shape, I mean the headstock and the flamed maple top which remind of the 55-94Dlx.

I see a Lakland, you may see something else, but you cant argue with me what I see.

you see,
    its like Sarah Jessica Parker, one person will say: "hell she's got an unproportional face!" and one will say "ehhhhhaaaammmm, thats a fine front, chassis and tires she got there!"

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Sure we can. :D If we are standing next to each other, and you have your eyes closed, and sy it's nighttime, and I say it's daytime--one of us is wrong.

To say that the Kinal looks like a Lakland to the point of being derivative is just plain wrong. Sorry. How can a 2-3 tilted headstock (actually, it looks more like the Brian Bromberg headstock, but, I digress) look like a 3-2 headstock? And, it looks like a Lakland because they both have flamed maple tops (Actually, it's quilted, but, anyway...)?

Perception is one thing, but reality is usually another. :D