Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kind of a dumb question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sascrotch, Mar 10, 2001.

1. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Fenders come with that little sticker and its a pain to get off. Will solvents ruin the wood or anything else?

2. Try a hair dryer set to low and held at a sensible distance (so as not to melt the bass :) ). It softens the sticker glue and makes it easier to remove.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    what sticker?

4. You can get small bottles of citrus-based Goo Gone or Goof Off that will melt the adhesive gently. Look at the local dollar store, drug store, home improvement warehouse, etc.

Also there is a 3M spray product that costs a lot but can be gotten from auto body shop supply houses for those really tough ones (it'll take anything off your bumper, stuff that's been in the sun for years) but I don't know how rough it is on bass finishes.

I would never buy a NOS or used axe with the stickers still on it. I'd ask the seller to remove all stickers first including factory stickers (the kind that list features, etc.) that were meant to be removed after sale. After they're off, look at the instrument in bright sunlight. Frequently, light finishes will get a brownish tinge from stickers that have been on too long. You can't get this out; it can go through the entire depth of the finish. And of course, people use stickers to cover blemishes.

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Sascrotch, there is no such thing as a dumb question here at Talk Bass and thanks to your having asked your question, I learned something I need to know. I'm thinking of selling my black five string Jackson Concert V bass (Like Dave Ellefson played in Megadeth for a very short while), but years ago I put a kind of sculpted skull on it. It looked really cool for the style of music I was playing, but now I think that skull will lower my possibilities of selling the bass at a decent price.

But I'm afraid to try to remove the skull now because it has been on there so long and I'm afraid the effort will damage the shiny black finish. Maybe Kurosawa's ideas will help.

JO

6. kurosawa's method worked for me, i pulled off the sticker and used goo-gone to get off the leftovers.

JO of all the colors to remove a sticker from i would say black is the worse. depending on the quality of the paint you might be able to use a real light grain waxing compound. might be best just to leave it on.

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Thanks, GruffPuppy. Guess I'll just have to hope that some budding death metal bassist is out there that would long to have a bass adorned with a sculpted skull. Or maybe I can save it in case I ever have grandkids and they want the bass. However, by then, who knows? That bass might be so obsolete, nobody on Earth would want it except a museum. (LOL.)

JO

8. I've heard that WD-40 gets sticker goo off pretty good.