1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kind of a dumb Question.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kingofthestring, Mar 13, 2008.

1. kingofthestring

kingofthestring

Aug 31, 2007
    For all of you head and cab users...

has anyone ever tried puttin effects between there speaker output from the amp and the input on the cabinet?

if so was it a good tone?

if your not supposed to do this let me know

2. yeah, really don't do that...the power output will more than likely (read: WILL) blow your effects.

3. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Yeah, that's a terrible idea.

Props for thinking outside the (stomp)box, though.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yep, that's a quick way to destroy your effects units.

5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    +Infinity

If you want to destroy your effects pedals (and indulge the scent of burning circuitboards), feel free to put it between the speaker output and the effects.

If you want to try effects at a place other than before the input of your amp, try placing them in your amp's effects loop. Generally, the results aren't that great with pedals, but that's not always the case.

The effects loop is largely designed for rackmount effects, but the output is by no means harmful to pedals. You just might end up overdriving them, that's all.

Some modulation pedals, for example, can work well in the effects loop, and that's a benefit for guitarists and others who depend on their preamp for distortion.

It beats setting them on fire. :p

6. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    1. Why would you ever want to?

2. There is no 2

7. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    maybe he has a death wish:p

8. Hey, I give him credit for wanting to try something different....Just glad he asked here first before melting all of his pedals.

9. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Or, he could run all your pedals in your Post-EQ out, if that's the kind of thing he's looking for...

(the idea of pedals between the amp and the cab sounds to me like he's trying to keep his bass from going into his stompboxes before his amp)

10. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    you will likely blow it.
    It'll prob give you the nice smell of electrical fire though.

11. kingofthestring

kingofthestring

Aug 31, 2007
    thanks guys for the advice.the reason i thougt of this because my amp dosent have an effects loop and i was thinking it would give me a different tone.

12. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Oh, but it would. :D

What amp are you using? Your Hartke head has an effects loop, but your combo doesn't.

13. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    This thread delivers :D

14. CBBass123

CBBass123 Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    Somebody please youtube this!! :hyper:

15. Imagine a gui**** gear video...

"Ok, now here's how I get my amazing tone; I plug my amp output into my pedals, and then my speakers...check this out..."

*plays chord*

*fizzle fizzle*

"Mmmmmm....smell that? it's the smell of success!!"

*burninating*

"Just like Hendrix"

16. fire bad

but seriously don't do that...ever

17. You could do it with a power soak style device. There are also DI boxes that accept speaker level inputs, it wouldn't be too hard to find one with an effects loops as well. You could also add your effects post DI at the board, or post mic at the board.

18. i respect your patience in asking someone before you try something youre not sure about. thats a very mature approach. i have destroyed a few studio toys ( MY studio toys of course) in search for new sounds. i actually have an old compressor pedal that i completely ruined by running a powered signal through it...the side effect was that it makes very strange but "music-able" noises now. you never know. -joe p

19. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Some have tried it...none were happy about it.

20. Hell-Lu

Hell-Lu

Sep 15, 2004
    Norway
    well... not only you will destroy your pedal..... but you amp also..... if the pedal get shorted the amp will overdrive and blow up ;)