1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kind of a gig story...at Carnegie Hall

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Greg Johnsen, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Mods, sorry if this should go in off topic, but I thought of it as a kind of gig, so I decided to put it here.

My highschool wind ensemble (we're 2 years old btw) got invited to play at Carnegie for a festival. We're fairly small (about 30-40 people tops I think) but we knew that we were good enough and this was a chance of a lifetime. We play 3 pieces; Black Horse Troop, by Sousa, Australian Up Country tune, by Grainger, and A Movement for Rosa, by Camphouse. We practice these pieces for about 3 months, and we finally left for NYC last wednesday, and played yesterday. I just have to say, Carnegie Hall, is amazing. The acoustics of that stage are beyond awesome, the presence of being there is great, and just being able to set foot on that stage is worth everything we've had to go through. Being a tuba player, and being able to sound like 5 tubas, instead of 2 (we're a third of the lowbrass, kind of sad), was just great. We had so much low end that we actually had an extremely dark sound, which is what we were looking for. we only had 2 majorish flops, a Clarinet (I can't stand woodwinds....) sqeaked at the very end of the piece (the Grainger) and because the acoustics were amazingm it was magnified about 10 times. ALL of us cringed, and no one would fess up to it being them. Then, on the last piece (the camphouse), the baritone missed it's entrance for a beel effect section, which through off a bunch of people's timing, but we recovered and the ending still went as planned (without applause for about 6 seconds, because the ending of the piece, doesn't sound like it should end, it was great). The 3 judges (2 of them being Reynolds, and Batisti) said we did excellent though, and said we needed harder music, which is a great compliment, especially from Reynolds.

Sorry the post it so long, I just wanted to share my awesome experience, and if you're a musician, you can probably understand.

Greg

2. Mad props dude.

3. I've been there also. We listened to a tuba player from NY's ensemble practice. Great sound.

4. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Thanks Drake, it's just an awesome experience that every serious musician should be able to feel, but alas, it can't happen. I can't imagine what a tuba alone would sound like, but I imagine it being pure tubaness that can't be replicated anywhere else.

Greg

5. I've played Australian Up-Country tune with my symphonic band, and our school's Wind Ensemble played a movement for rosa. AUC is pretty easy, but takes a lot of practice to play it lyrically and fully together. Rosa is a cool piece, but you're right, the ending is weird. That's cool that you played in Carnegie; I would love to someday.
    -Alex

6. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Congrats man. I'd love to play on a famous stage like that someday. Just to think about the other people who have played it before me.

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I think that's where my highschool jazz bigband got invited to. But we didn't go because it would cost too much and we would have been the only jazz bigband.

8. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Jazzin', that sucks, really badly. When you have a chance to play at carnegie, money shouldn't be an issue, but oh well, it happens.

Greg

9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    How lucky for you that you had the chance to play at one of the world's best know performance halls. Definitely something to remember.

10. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Whatever, I got to play at the Montreal Jazzfest that year. The NY trip would have been cool, but it would have been awkward since we would have been the only jazz band.