Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kind of a sweet ebay find!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trevorus, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  2. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    very special bass

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    As far as 8-stringers go, that's a pretty nifty setup, what with the tuning keys and such.

4. the body intrigues me- one P pickup, one control, rear-routed.

the neck (22frets, narrow headstock, trussrod adjust at headstock) looks like a Mexican Precision Special, but this had active electronics and a PJ config.

looks like the body's had a new top put on it.

I remember seeing a pic in BP of a custom Yamaha Attitude 8string Billy Sheehan was using to record with Mr Big. wonder what tracks it was used on.

5. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    Probably some kind of Warmoth/custom made body.

--Matthew

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It's a modified fender.

7. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN

No kidding? I ment that the BODY was probably some kind of warmoth/custom job. The lack of holes for controls gives that away. Plus it would be ridiculous to strip a fender body of it's paint, but a birdseye top on it and finish it again. I'd just go with a warmoth body if that much work was involved.

--Matthew

8. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    I'd be inclined to believe it is a modified Fender body, not aftermarket.

- The horns have obviously been reshaped (they're slimmer, like Strat horns)
    - The volume knob's in the wrong place to be one of our bodies
    - The finish was done after the octave tuner routing (we would never have done this kind of rout, since we sell 8-string necks and bridges)
    - From the angled shot of the front, it looks like the birdseye top is flat and ends at the forearm contour, instead of being bent over the curve as we would do.

Hard to see much detail, but I'd say it's pretty nicely done! Wonder how that vintage-trussrod P neck is holding up to the stress, though... our 8-string necks are built like a tank...

9. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Kinda cool, but I'd be worried about

1)Those tuning keys hanging off the end of the body like that; they're likely to take a beating....and

2)4 holes drilled through the neck, large enough for grommets, right at the volute, which is a pretty weak spot as it is. They should have either moved the holes further out on the headstock or used a clamp.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Looks like that's about what they did...

11. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Either way, this is a really cool looking bass. Very different to see an 8-string P-bass. :ninja:

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Cool stuff. I wanna hear it! The grommets in the neck DO worry me though. Smack that a bit hard on your stack while jumping aound on stage, and CRACK!!! Bye Bye P-bass!

13. I like the way it's strung. Evens out the weight and you don't have a big clusterf--- on the headstock. Cool axe!! :D

14. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Old Washburn 8-strings we set up just like this. I think they were called the Wing series. I had a couple. Worked and played really well. Aren't the Ric 8's set up like tis too?

15. Just a clusterf**c trying to tune. :p

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, shifting the hand up to down to up to down to up to down to up to down would kinda suck kinda suck kinda suck kinda suck.

17. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    how is the intonation set for the octave strings?

18. Your choice, you can either have the root OR the octave string perfectly intonated and have the other maybe or maybe not intonated at all, OR you can kinda intonate both!!@ :D

19. the Rick 8's I've seen had all the machineheads on the headstock.
    the 4003/8 had all schaller m4's 4 a side.
    http://www.rickenbacker.com/us/4003s8.htm

there was a rare 4005/8 (semi-hollow) on Mike Anthony's site, which had elephant ear tuners for the bass strings, guitar tuners for the octave strings.

20. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    Neato looking bass fo sho. The craftsmanship looks pretty nice. One thing jumped out at me. I didn't notice any strap buttons? Are my eyes that bad or are they missing? I'd love to hear that bad boy. Anybody email yet for the mp3 sound clips? I'd love to hear those.