1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kind of an interesting finish I came up with -

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dark Horse, Apr 18, 2010.

1. I love its' psuedo-barnlike quality and its' wonderful country charm !

82 vote(s)
    87.2%
  2. It looks like something a cow leaves behind after a day of eating muddy grass in the pasture !

12 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Kind of straddles a relic, a barncaster, and a 70's walnut/mocha finish. I have more clear coat to go, but I'm kinda digging it in a weird way.

PEABODY1.

PEABODY2.

2. jgparm

jgparm

Sep 27, 2007
    Southern Missouri
    I dig it---especially the back.

3. if they somehow made a chocolate colored pickguard with some gold hardware on the bass = SEX

4. MPica

MPica

Feb 13, 2010
    I think it looks incredible. Keep the brown color going by slapping on a rosewood neck with rosewood fingerboard. A black pickguard and maybe even all black hardware would look nice too.

5. Nicely. It's definitely working!

6. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Let me be the first dissenting voice: I don't like it. However, this is IMO and if you like it by all means continue.

7. I think with black around the edges like a sunburst it would be very cool

8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Believe me, I value and appreciate ALL opinions, not just the ones that agree with me.

:)

I'm gonna do this bass up "70's style" - DiMarzios, some brass hardware, black guard (or brass if I can find one that fits correctly), etc.

9. I think it might look good with cream colored pickup and pickguard

10. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    i like the color, and fortunately the pickguard will cover the ugly grain in the middle. personally i think a cream pickguard would look good on there, kind of a coffee & cream if you will

11. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Looks GREAT.

12. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Not a fan of dark stain on light wood - on basses or anything else. :meh:

13. Warmoth has a cool brown tort that would look really cool with that. What did u used for the uh.... color?

14. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Technically it isn't a stain. It is brown nitro sprayed on the body and then wiped off with lacquer thinner, which leaves a blotchy finish with dark grain lines. After that is is simply nitro clear coat.

15. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    It's very nice, and not barn-like at all IMO. I would rock a bass in that finish scheme for sure.

16. I dig it! I think it could look pretty classy with the right hardware and pickguard.

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    brown tort guard, creme covered Dimarzio, 70s brass high mass bridge... and one of your 'vintage tint' maple/maple necks and that will be HOT!

18. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Looks great! A black pg would really send it into awesomeland imho.

19. Tenma4

Tenma4

Jan 26, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Love it! I'd show all that chocolatey goodness I could.

:hyper:

20. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    That looks awesome!