Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kind of an odd request: Best strap?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JoeRules00, Mar 10, 2002.

1. So I've had my bass since X-Mas now. Well, with the everyday practice of 2-3 hours (I am digging this bass playing stuff, if you couldn't tell), I've worn straight through my strap. Any suggestions for a strap that will last through plenty of practice?

Note: Seeing as this is kind of an odd question, i wasn't sure which forum it best fit in. Feel free to move it, if need be.

2. Well, this IS a rather new question (at least in my experience). I'd suggest getting a good leather strap.

Kinda odd, though. I've put countless hours on my strap and never had a problem like that. Do you sharpen your shoulder blades or something? ;)

Either way, good to have you in the low end gang!

PS I think this forum is just about the best place for your question (unless I've overlooked a STRAPS forum lying around somewhere)

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    hmm.. I have a levys leather padded strap. It cost me about $60 and unless you play alot and stand up while you are playing all the time you may not want to spend that kind of money. Someone once posted something about something called a comfort strap? i am not sure if that is it exactly but they are only like $35 and from what i hear, they are well worth the investment

4. Flash

Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    Taylor Guitars makes a nice wide leather strap. There is a reinforcemnt between a sandwich of leather. This will keep the holes from streching.

About $50

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well this question has been asked at least 5 or 6 times here before - I always say : "Comfort Strapp"!!

6. eViL cAkE

eViL cAkE Guest

Sep 6, 2001
    Just East of Dallas
    I agree with cafepurgatory in that your strap probably just sucked. Just about any leather strap should last you years and years. Using strap locks instead of popping the mounted strap buttons through the strap holes also helps. That way the holes don't wear out.

As for me...I just have a cool looking, tiger stripe sweaded leather strap. It's rock and roll all the way baby!

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I vote Comfort Strapp as well, the name says it all.

I recommend using strap locks too.

Two popular brands are Dunlop and Schaller, and I think a set can be had for ~$15.

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have two: a Comfort Strap and one who's manufacturer I can't remember. The second one is a very heavy duty leather with some figuring on it and very thick cotton or wool padding on the shoulder side...

Of these two, I like the leather one better: it's more comfortable. But, the Comfort Strap is a good bet.

Whatever you do buy, I recommend getting the thickest one you can find so it disburses the weight of the bass more on your entire shoulder.

9. I like my $5 nylon straps. They're 2 inches wide and solid colors. The ends are alright, and don't rip. I think there is a Bob somewhere in the name of it?

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i haven't tried the comfort strap, but i swear by my levy's pm 32...it's a big, fat, padded leather strap and it's lived through two warwick thumb basses, and now i'm using it with my usa curbow rockwood 6 string, which is a beast of a bass...heavier than any thumb i've played. you'll find that you're pretty safe with pretty much any wide, padded strap.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I just use Ernie Ball Straps, because they are longer than most straps. Most straps are short of my comfort zone by about two inches, which is quite aggrivating. I'm a bigger guy, so it's hard to find long straps. EBs work, though. Other than that, I don't like leather straps, mostly because the underside sticks to my shirt, and I'm too cheap!

12. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    If you want a basic, no-frills strap, get an Ernie Ball. They are just the best strap out there for the money, period. Everyone uses them. They're built tough as nails. They'll go as long as you need them (even if you're six foot five and wear your bass at your thighs!)

They're extremely cheap and you can get them at Sam Ash. They last forever.

13. I prefer a nice thick leather strap.
    I have a comfort strap but even the Xtra-Large is a little smaller than I prefer. I keep telling myself that they sent a small by mistake.

14. ditto

15. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Well, I play a 20 lb. bass. The only strap I've used that keeps it from digging into my shoulder is the Neotech super bass strap. It's big, it's cushy, it works. $16 from mus. friend.

16. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    these wood straps are more comfortable than you might think - they should last a long time and won't mess up the tuxedo for those formal gigs (hey, that's what the sales guy used) looks cool, woods can be different colors--

I do have an extra one like this I might be willing to part with --