Kind of Blue "Clones"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Feb 13, 2001.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Somebody here recommended Miles Davis' "kind of Blue" to me. I bought it and absolutely love it. I would really appreciate it if the person who told me about "Kind of Blue" or anyone else, for that matter, would suggest similar records in the same style. I am so impressed with the bassist Paul Chambers. I also like the work of pianist Bill Evans and drummer James Cobb. Did Davis record more albums similar to this one? I like it because it has at least some semblance of melody.

jason oldsted
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...glad you liked KOB; many rank that album as Jazz' #1 recording(in spite of its "melancholy" vibe). KOB is Miles' notion of modal Jazz; "So What", "Flamenco Sketches", etc.
    Other Miles' albums from that particular period/band include-
    2)'Round About Midnight
    3)Someday My Prince Will Come

...all of those have Coltrane & Paul Chambers. The rest of the band may include Jimmy Cobb &/or Philly Joe Jones on drums, Cannonball Adderly on alto, Wynton Kelly &/or Red Garland on piano(no Bill Evans).
    Also, there's another album from that same time frame called Cannonball And Coltrane...the exact same personnel as KOB minus Miles(& still no Bill Evans).

More modal Jazz is also on Coltrane's Giant Steps...Paul Chambers & Jimmy Cobb play on that cd.

A later album by Miles' 2nd Classic 5-tet, My Funny Valentine + Four & More is a LIVE double-cd package that has Hancock, Tony Williams, Ron Carter, & George Coleman(sax) doin' some of the material from KOB...Williams absolutely blows me away on the "faster" material from disc 2. In-cred-ible!

...if you're really interested in KOB, there's a book out about the making of it written by Ashley Kahn. I just picked it up last a search at

3. If you like PC (he's my fave for his bouncy feel and natural tone), check out his solo album "Bass On Top" on Blue Note.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"Seven Steps to Heaven" is also quite "tuneful" - not the same band, first with Tony Williams, but not yet into experimenting and pushing the format.

A lot of the "atmosphere" on KoB is down to Bill Evans IMO(apart from Freddie of course) - so it might be worth looking into Bill Evans albums from the same period.

The other trumpeter into "Modal" Jazz is Freddie Hubbard and his playing is incredibly melodic and many people consider him a better trumpeter than Miles.He's not that fashionable as he "veered" towards a sort of early "smooth" with "lush" arrangements - but then you might like this.

I think he's written some great tunes, but would be pushed to name a totally satisfying album - maybe a "best of" would be a good start. Some of his tunes were taken up by George Benson and given a "soul" vibe - Benson is a favoured collaborator of Hubbard's. So like "Sky Dive" is one of my favourite Hubbard tunes but features in Benson sets. "First Light" is another personal fav.
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Try Mark Isham's "Blue Sun". It comes pretty close to the spirit of "KOB".
  6. Boplicity

Thank you all for your suggestions. It may take me a few months to acquire all your ideas, but I shall. JimK, a very special thank you for suggesting "Kind of Blue" to me. I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed it. It has a magical quality to it I can't explain.

Also, I may buy that book. I saw another one in Barnes and Noble the other day all about Miles Davis. I really liked the way it was written, but can't remember the name either of the book or the author. I wish to heck I had bought it right then and there, though. To tell the truth I was surprised how many books Barnes and Noble has on Miles Davis. He must be one of the most heavily researched musicians next to Elvis Presley.

jason oldsted
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...if you're looking to go the biography route w/ Miles-
    Check out his autobiography(Miles in his own words...& what words. The language is rated "R")! ;)

I have also read Eric Nisensen's Miles' bio(I liked it); I have heard the Carter bio is good, too.
  8. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    You mention you like Bill Evans' playing on Kinda Blue. One of the beauties of jazz is the sideways leaps of association it allows and encourages. In keeping with that I don't have a Miles recording to recommend but rather Bill Evans/Eddie Gomez duo Intuition. It has the melodic content I think you're looking for and seems to me to be a work that is in many ways descended of Kinda Blue.
  9. Boplicity

Thanks. I'll put "Intuition" on my list too. I'm going to have a lot of great listening thanks to this thread and every body's kind input.

jason oldsted
  10. cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    Check out Bill Evans, PC and Philly on Evan's Green Dolphin Street album, fantabulous....also get PC's Whims of Chambers disc...some great arco stuff...plusJim Stinnett wrote two transcription series on PC, "The Music of Paul Chambers" and "Arcology" if you are interested I can let you know where to get them...
  11. IMO, Paul Chambers was the greatest ever! Not as fast or as dextrous as Ray Brown, not as inventive as some others, but the TONE and incredible BOUNCE in his playing was phenomenal, pretty good for a junkie, and noone has ever duplicated that feel. A good solo album was "Bass On Top" on Blue Note.
  12. I love Kind of Blue, and some other great jazz albums that came out around that time that I also love are by John Coltrane. "Blue Train" and "Giant Steps" are 2 great albums that you should really check out. Both of 'em have good ole' PC on the bass.
  13. Cannonball Adderly: Somethin' Else
    includes Miles Davis, and it was recorded shortly after Kind of Blue, so pretty similar style. It has Autumn Leaves, and Love for Sale... all kind of slow and mellow songs like on Kind of Blue. Other musicians on it are Hank Jones: piano, Sam Jones: bass, and Art Blakey: drums.
  14. Boplicity

This is what I am going to do, as you all have made so many excellent suggestions. I'm going to write each album name on a strip of paper and put them in a cup. Everytime I have some money for a CD, I will draw a name and that will be the CD I buy. I hope I can get at least two a month and I know this music will be an education. I really appreciate your taking the time to advise me.

jason oldsted
  15. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...hopefully, you're a member of either Columbia House or BMG(or both).
    If so, you can pick up Giant Steps, Something Else, Cannonball & Coltrane, & Blue Train...both clubs offer deals of up to 60% off(a cd w/ postage = about $8).
    If you're not a member, sign up, take the 10 free cds, buy a couple at club price & bail out...
  16. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Recently I heard that since these deals are considered "promotional" the artist receives no royalties from these sales. Oddly enough the companies earn profits from them though.
  17. Boplicity

No royalties...that is just HEINOUS!

Reminds me of last night on CNBC. The CEO of Vivinda/Universal, now the world's largest record company...Bronfman, I think his name is...was talking about how the record companies are working to ensure that they get all the income they deserve from Napster-like web sites.

Then CNBC interviewed a distinguished jazz pianist ( house pianist for Birdland for years) and music educator who expressed displeasure that the record executive was so concerned about the record companies getting THEIR cut, but said nothing at all about the musicians getting THEIR cut.

He then asked this basic and profound question worthy of an entirely seaparte thread...why are the artists always at the END of the line for royalties? He fumed about the expectation that artists should create and perform for free, but the record companies get THEIRS while the music consuming public wants music free. SO that is fine with him if he can send his daughter to school free and live in his house and drive his car free, but musicians have to pay for cars, etc., so why must they work and create for free? Fascinating discussion. I regret I cannot remember his name. He deserves better from me.

jason oldsted
  18. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have never heard that about the cd/record clubs; the discs I buy from them do not say "Promotional Use"(like some of the radio station hand-outs I used to get). If it's true, I'm surprised the artists aren't complaining.
    ...with the amount of stuff I buy @regular price, I have no qualms whatsoever about stocking up on 60% off discs from the clubs; most of the stuff I'm buying from BMG & ColumbiaHouse I have previously owned on vinyl, anyway.
    Like Miles, 'Trane, Dolphy, Bird, etc need the royalties...c'mon.
  19. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I was wondering if this bullsh*t argument was going to surface. My suggestion is to give yer head a good shake and come back to the real point. How would you feel if work your father did continued to make money after his death and despite your having inherited the copyright you received no part of the revenue from those continued sales? C'mon yerself.
  20. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Now, see you're mad., I guess you told me, huh?