"KInd of Blue" Statistic

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I just saw this on a TV peice honoring the tenth anniversary of Miles Davis' death. His album, "Kind of Blue" still sells over 4000 units A WEEK ten years after his death!!! In fact, K of B is the best selling jazz record of all time.

"KInd of Blue" is one of the few albums I own that I just NEVER tire of hearing or playing.

There was a thread here a few weeks ago about bands or musicians that will "stand the test of time." Well, Miles Davis would certainly fit that category.
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hey JO-
    Another "classic" you should check out-
    Andrew Hill's Point Of Departure. Though it's considered a '60s Avant Garde album, it's more 'in' than 'out'. Hill is a great, great composer/arranger.
    The line-up reads like a "Who's Who of Modern jazz"-
    Andrew Hill-piano
    Richard Davis-bass
    Tony Williams-drums
    Eric Dolphy-alto
    Joe Henderson-tenor
    Kenny Dorham-trumpet

BTW, way back when, Kind Of Blue was the ONE record even a non-Jazz buyer owned(so I've read). ;)
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Kind of Blue was the FIRST Jazz album I bought, and it opened the door for everything. Great album. Everyone should own it. (Although with those numbers, eventually everyone probably will!)
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

JimK, thanks for the heads up on "Point of Departure." I get scared when I hear "avant garde" attached to a record. I just don't care for the style much, but as you say, the record is more "in" than "out", so maybe I could stomach it.

The show about Davis this morning mentioned some of his other albums I think I might enjoy. Once I get moved and have time to concentrate on such things, I'm going to acquire those Davis albums and check out "Point of Departure" too.

Oh, last, I still am indebted to you for turning me on to "Kind of Blue." That album has brought me hours and hours of enjoyment since I bought it at your suggestion. Davis was a genius. As an aside, the show said he was one of the few jazz musicians of his time to overcome a heroin addiction.
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Avant Garde" means a lotta things...
    At one time, Louis Armstrong was Avant Garde.
    Ditto for Prez, Ellington, Bird, Monk, Mingus, Miles, Coltrane, The Beatles, Hendrix...!
    '60s Avant Garde(like this Hill album)is more composed & has more structure than the '60s Free/New Thingers(late period Coltrane, Shepp, Ayler, Pharoah Sanders, etc).
    That's the crowd you're probably 'scared' of. ;)
  6. Funny, I saw the movie "The Buddy Holly story" today and they refered to him as BeBop.
    The labels truly change thru the years.

Point Of Departure is a great disk, in my eyes "Avant Garde" doens't come to mind with this disk. That is the label I have always used for a disk like Coltranes "SunShip" or any disk that takes 10 listens to like. :D

I am a big Eric Dolphy fan so Point is a good disk with Eric. I love the way he can play "outside" but is still melodic.
    Another recomend for POD