kind of strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JustOpenYourMind, Dec 17, 2001.

1. I know that I will sound a bit newbie but I don't really know a lot of things about strings.

MY question is:

I always had the same set of strings on my bass and now I wander what kind of string it is (i owned that bass for 6 months)

1-Is there a way to know what kind of strings it is ,flats,rounds,wathever.

2-would it be time to change strings

2. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    what kinda bass is it.Most likely there nickel roundwounds.Fender,squier and alot of other companies use that as string that comes on the bass.
  3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    1-Is there a way to know what kind of strings it is ,flats,rounds,wathever.[/b]

Well, to tell if they are flats, look at them. Do they have a smooth look (flats), or do they have grooves going down them?(rounds) Do they have a black latex type thing around them. (tapes) As far as brand, I'm sure if you checked out the website of the manufatuer or called them direct, they would be happy to tell you.

2-would it be time to change strings

That's sort of a tough call. I would tell you yes, just so you know what new strings sound like again. Believe me, it's hard to tell how dead your strings were until you put a new set on. Of course, all kinds of things go into this. If you played it twice a week, then they are still pretty good. If you played it almost everyday, they are due for a changing. Also, your ph level in your fingers has a lot to do with it. High levels kills strings quicker. They say Elixer brand strings last longer. I don't know, never tried them. I say yes, change them. Some guys like their strings a little dead. Try a new set, then compare if you like the brightness of new strings, or the deeper sound of old strings. :)