1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kinda bass related, Kinda not.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lamarjones, Apr 10, 2006.

1. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    So, I am in a band that has a banjo player, he has an acoustic banjo and an electric banjo. He was running both into this all in one Boss effects pedal that was robbing his tone. So.......that had to be deal with.

http://www.d-tar.com/solstice.shtml

Anyways, we were looking at getting a Dtar Solstice for him, and running each into the different channels. Well, before we ordered it, we tried using my epifani 502 for this guy, running one into each channel. Well, during this time, the channel switching function ended up being very useful, and I am thinking the Dtar Solstice, without that, might end up causing some issues without being able to mute the other channel. (yes you can turn down the levels on the one not being uses, but that would cause more issues than not)

So basically this guy needs a two channel preamp that is switchable. The tone with both of them using the Epifani rocked, but I am not trying to give up the Epifani for this use in the long run. Band is willing to foot the bill for something like this, and this guy needs it ONLY for running direct out straight into the board.

You guys not of a good two channel amp/preamp that don't color the tone all that much?

2. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I've heard good things from this company's products for acoustic guitar, but it wasn't the solstice. They actually make some interesting products I'd like to try myself.

But if you're looking for some info on D-Tar, here's a review, read up here.

Or go to a banjo forum and ask/ search around I'm sure there's other pickers with a similar situation.

A good banjo forum can be found here.

I'm just trying to help by saying this, but I think you'll get much further for what you're trying to do if you try more appropriate places to ask this other than a bass forum. You're audience will better suited for these types of questions on a quite different instrument.

Good luck.

3. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeah, you are right. Definitely not the most appropriate place for this. Only thing is, out of everything tried so far......the freakin epifani thing sounded the best! WITHOUT ALL THE OTHER CRAP! Seriously, there was a ton of other stuff involved with the other setups, and it was pretty much about the same sound wise. Weird........