Kinda confused.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Today I went to GC to see What kind of fiver I would like to replace my sixer I am going to sell.

The verdict. The basses I spent time with where a thumb NT an Ibanez BTB and a Yamaha RBX775 (the newer one). I like the look of the Warwick the best. The small body and beefy neck. I liked the Ibanez, but the strings were too bright, but I liked that one too. But by far, the best feeling sounding, and lightest was the Yamaha. Yes, the Yammy was the cheapest, but I just liked it more. I'd like to get the warwick, but I would be afraid I would just look at it, because I am not partial to the warwick tone.

Opinions from anyone, am I crazy? Or should I just buy the Yamaha, when I have money.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Looks shouldnt matter, buy what you liek best, which seems like the yamaha.
  3. It did play darn nice. I am not sure if it has a wood neck or it is just a paint job.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im assuming tis a maple neck.
  5. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Moons over my Yammy.
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    It's pretty safe to assume that there's wood under that paint. Paint alone tends to make an unsturdy neck.

BTW, go with what tone and playability you like best. Big price difference in those basses as well.
  7. I gotta tell you. I have a big soft spot for the Yamaha basses also. The five strings basses are second to none for me in string spacing department. However the set up of the necks make me a little bit nervous though in most music stores. Seems like they are usually a bit bowed or something with a huge gap between the strings and body. I wonder if that's done on purpose? Or was is the trip across the water?

The Ibanez BTB's are also one of my favorite basses. Very comfortable spacings.

(My Opinion)
  8. Just buy a fodera and be satisfied the rest of your life.
  9. I would go for the Warwick!!!
    But if you like the Ibanez but the strings were too bright, you could always replace the strings by yourself, with for instance with Rici d´rocco!
    Off course men should think of his money, so Yahama would be wise.

Well hell, now you have confused me!!! :eek:
  10. get the yammy keep the money you save to get your next amp!

playability and sound are the most important things and it seems the yamaha will give you them wheras the warwick will give you the looks and a hole in your wallet.

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If the Yamaha was the best in your opinion, then your opinion is all that matters. :)

For me, I'f get the one that played, sounded & felt best.