Kinda embareassed to ask this..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Ok, I finished my fretless bass about a month ago. I was playing it, and I was confused. On the E and A strings, I have to put my fingers just behind the fretline (the lines represent where the fret was). on the D and the G, it I have to place my fingers ON the lines. Can I change this (I want my finger to have to be placed on all the lines) by setting the intonation? This is really the first time I've played fretless bass not in a Guitar Center. It's been fine at home with practicing, but at the school concert I used it, and I sounded.. out. So can I change where I have to place my fingers by ajusting the intonation?
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Keep in mind that frets aren't perfect. They're close, but not 100% correct pitch. So a little leeway on the lines should be expected.

Intonation may or may not help.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Quit looking at the board and use your ears!

4. Great advice. I've been playing my fretless alot now since it's the only bass I have ATM. When I was first playing I was looking at the lines, now I don't and I can get the correct note by ear and from knowing the fretboard too. And hopefully tomorrow I will get to use it for the first time at a band practice!
  5. Freaky, it is possible for you to adjust intonation so that the notes ring on the lines, when using your tuner, adjust the intonation so that the (for example) A 12th hormoniic, RINGS at the line.

while i think the above is really good advice, i fail to see how you are able to "just pick out the notes", i.e. even on an un-lined fretles, all the notes are in the same position on the neck... yes?
  6. Playing fretless, in my opinion, takes less thought and more feel.

Whenever I play a fretless, I just kindof look up and zone out. That's when I find I do my best playing (on a fretless, at least).

Try it, it's done wonders for my playing. :)
  7. I fixed the problem. But it's not as much as looking at the board, as it is bad habits I picked up on a fretted. For example, I place a finger down anywhere between the frets on a fretted, and out comes that one note. If do the same thing on a fretless, it's gonna sound like donkey waste.