Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kinda lost my way in the woods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by De Teng, Jul 19, 2004.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I just don't know it. I'm willing to pay about 2000 euro for a great fivestring (even a bit more, but that's it) but when I'm searching, playing and listening I get totally confused. Which bass to choose and which not?

I'm fund of a nice Jazz growl, rather a bit fatter than the regular stuff. Not the humbucking type of growl, but retaining the single coil sound. I played a Mike Lull M5V, Elrick, Zon Sonus Studio...

It is just so difficult!!! Please give some great advice?

(I want a fivestring, which is fat, but not too humbucking type. And I'm not a Marcus Miller clone, so I don't like having a slapsound all the time)

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What are you looking for cosmetically?

3. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Plain design mostly... I prefer a natural body, maple neck and black scratchplate...or no scratchplate. Quite depending on the total looks of the instrument, but that's one I really like.

Or the 3tone sunburst with a rosewood neck. Joe Osborn Skyline for instance. Well....let's say... 'classic looks'. ;)

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Well in that case you already know who Id recommend. :D

[​IMG]
    http://www.valentibass.cjb.net/

5. Did you try a vd End 5-string yet? Could be your thing. And ofcourse there is the Sadowsky Metro, in about the same price range.
    I don't like the Skyline 5-strings..the only good thing they have is the B-string.
    Check out some stuff at Bassmatters in Nijmegen.

Ray-R

6. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    those are all GREAT basses. and all fairly different. it really depends on what you want and what feels right FOR YOU. can't go wrong with any of those 3 and plenty more either. I would advise trying to find somethign used. Its a buyers market right now and there are deals a plenty to be had (especially on 5 strings). If the bass turns out to not be right for you you won't lose much if anything in the re-sale

7. Why not a Fender Deluxe US...:ninja:
    You can get an FBass for 2K euros. Might not be new, but it has that "jazz" growl, plus a lot more...

8. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Ray, I did that and I think that the Zon is fantastic. But complex ánd a little beyond the financial range. Just beyond the limit with regards to the fact I still have to buy my veterinairy stuff for next year college. May-be I can manage to do something with the price even it is quite low.

I don't like the Skylines either, it's a bit between to worlds. A vd End bass could be great, but I still have to sell my Warwick Streamer Stage I (1991) and trading it with the shop owner is never a great deal for yourself. I think F-basses are very ugly.

Yesterday I played a Boerjes (luthier from germany) and never had I heard such beautifull tones. The owner of the shop told me he had two or three jazz models (fretless and fretted ones) and they could easily deal with the Celinders and Sadowsky's, he told me. After playing the fretless model, I'm convinced. You just won't believe it!

9. Interesting!
    Wich shop was that?
    How is the B-string on these Borjes basses?
    What scale length do they have?
    How is the weight?

R.

10. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    The shop is named 'Westerhaven Music', Groningen. From the Grote Markt left of the Stadhuis a ten/fifteen minutes walk in this beautifull city. Then on the right, you'll see the shop.

The low B is great, weight...very low... you just won't believe your ears due to the construction, and the hand-tested DeLano pickups. Really singing and just how you want a good jazzbass to sound. It does it all.

Looks really good too!

specs on www.bass-guitars.de

I have the third option on a new coming 'red-shaded' with maple neck, vintage laquer. It looks sweet... I can't stop telling people from now one. Altough it's allways possible a bargain shows up, I'm quite for that Boerjes thing. :hyper:

11. Eww...Groningen :eek: That's a very long drive..
    Do they have demo instruments available of all models?

R.