Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kinda new to this ...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Godcreep, Feb 24, 2001.

1. Hi guys

Being very new to this stuff I have a question for u ...
    What should I buy if I want my sound to be very raw, I mean like the sound Cliff Burton had..

Must I choose between a Overdrive or a Distortion pedal?

Please help me ...

Godcreep

2. All you need is a distortion pedal, but any distortion pedal will take away any punch the bass has. If you want a raw tone, why do you want effects?

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Although I dont listen to Mettallica 'raw' bass sounds are echieved by racking a valve or tube amp. IMHO nothing else comes close.

4. i have the BOSS OBD-3 overdrive pedal, and i get a grrreat cliff "anesthesia" tone out of it. its all in the tinkering of the pedal.

5. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    I want to pick up the Boss bass overdrive pedal , but I need to know about the fuzz and overdrive as well. Do any of you know the difference?

6. bassically "distortion","fuzz",and "overdrive"do the same thing(add high harmonics that were not there before).the intensity of each one is a little different but they are all synthisizing f\x (pardon my spelling).Some companys have different names for the same thing, hence the terms "fuzz,(to make you sound fuzzy)"overdrive"(to make you sound like your packin a 350 v8 engine in your rig)ect. ect. but they all have the same bassic function.hope I cleared up a LITTLE bit of confusion...

7. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    The best thing you can do to get a great overdriven sound is to get a good head.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

What brewer said is really on the mark, IMO. Cliff was getting those Marshall tubes blue and that is the "purest" way to replicate that sound.

If such an investment is beyond your present means, a SansAmp Bass Driver pedal gets a really raw and overdriven sound when set properly.