Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kinda off topic. Do you sit on your cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Aug 19, 2005.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Well, I do this more often than I should since I'm not necesarlily as small guy (240 lbs.)

Anyone here ever break a cab by sitting on it?

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Cab, no (although I'm sure it's possible).

Casters, yes. :scowl:

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I usually sit either in a chair about 2 feet infront of my speaker, or sit on the ground about the same distance away.

and no I've never sat on my amp, it's not a stool.....

But I do know a guitar player who crushed his amp, he was sitting on it and I guess the wood or w/e his cab was made out of just collapsed in kind of made like a \/ shape in the middle of his combo.

I think I explained that half way right, if you don't understand I'll try to re-explain it.

-Rob

4. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I kind of can't sit on my main rig as it's the size of a fridge, but I have sat on my practice amp (230lbs here) and nothing so you really shouldn't worry much.

5. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Sit, stand; Its all the same...
    :smug:

6. bassontherun

bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    Yep! Harder to hear yourself, but that's nothing that a volume knob can't fix.......... ;)

7. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I would if my stack wasn't 6 feet tall :p

8. I rarely will sit on my combo amps, and when other people do it makes me cringe. I generally only sit on them for a minute or two at a time, and that is if there are no chairs and my back/feet are killing me. I'm also a large individual, so I know what it is like being kind of out of shape, and holding a bass while standing for hours. Sometimes you gotta have a sit.

9. Yes, but I weigh 150lbs and the casters I put in my amp are rated 80lbs each. That said, I usually have a seat anyway and my head is usually ontop of my cab preventing me from sitting on it.

10. If I'm constipated it helps. ;)

11. I bought a Pearl drum throne, one of the newest models, and camp out about 10 feet in front of my Bag Ends on a nice little oriental rug. Keeps my pedals clean, yeah I know no pedal board yet as the pedals keep changing, and it gives me that older hippie vibe.

Many years ago I ran one of those JBL single 15, Cabaret cabs IIRC, and used to sit on that at rehearsals.

BEAR

12. exactly!

13. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I'm worse. I not only sit on my amp, I sit on the head on my cab.

14. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I've done it. My old combo amp was about the hight of a chair and built like a tank. Don't think it suffered in the slightest.

15. I let the ladies sit on my cab, they seem to love it.

16. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Sitting down while playing just isn't rock and roll. How are you supposed to bang yer head when you are in a chair?!?!! :bassist:

17. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I was waiting for that one :D

18. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah all the time at practice. i dont sit on combos or heads, but on a well built bass cab no prob. i actually dig being able to feel the vibrations, and heck, i'm a lazy bastard. (and no tyler, i don't dig the vibrations for THAT reason) :p

19. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I sit, jump up on, stand, climb, and generally monkey around on all my gear, including my upright bass...of course, I only weigh 145 lbs at 5'7, but I've never broken any gear this way, although I've sprained an ankle occasionally jumping off of 'em to look cool on stage :)

20. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    nah - I sit on the guitar player's combo. ... keeps the volume down ... Actually we have comfy chairs in our rehersal space. Mostly as we are all over 6 feet and the space is a loft with 6'2" sloped ceilings. Can't all stand unless we want to practice a Conga line ...