Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kinda strange...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SunShine, May 22, 2005.

1. My school own a bass, and I can't find it on the interweb. It's a Fender J-Bass Special and it's nowhere to be found. It's cream colored, no pick guard, P/J pup combo the J being closer to the bridge. Anyone know how old it is or how much it's worth?

Edit: Pretty much like this except a J-bass Fender P-Bass

2. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    All I know about them is that they're the ones that Duff McKagan from GNR and Velvet Revolver uses. According to him they discontued them a while back, which explains why you can't find one on the internet.

3. This one looks like a mid-late 80's model and it's in mint condition.

4. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    That's when he bought his, so that makes sense. Same color and everything.

5. Alright, do you know what one goes for in this day and age?

6. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Honestly, I have no idea. I'm not a Fender fan, I just remember everything I read. Why don't you see if you can buy it off of your school?

7. I'd like to but at the moment I'm poor. It has a nice solid sound and, because I set it up, it's pretty much what I would want in a J-bass. I'd probably put some new pups in it but the wood is fine.

8. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    if you do buy it, try some basslines P-ups. they sound great, (too me anyway)

or try convincing them that you put so much work into this bass that you think you deserve it.

if you would like to try and find one new, try the zone bass or dimension basses by fender, P-bass neck pups and Bridge j pup, the american deluxe has 2 humbuckers. the reggie hamilton jazz is also set ip like this, but it has a more oldschool look to it. (sunburst, or black I believe, not sure tho) or you could always get your own body pups neck and pots/knobs and build your own if you want to say you built yoour bass.

good luck man, I'm in the same situation with cash so I'm rooten for ya.

edit: just checked the squir site and the p-bass special 4 is also a p-j configured bass. fender active p-bass special is also pj. thats all I could find on the fender website

9. It took me maybe 40 minutes to set up the bass, so I didn't put a whole lot of work into it, but I did put new strings on it. :) Think a set of new strings is worth a bass? They're D'ad, so it's not like I went super cheap.

10. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    one last note, you may want to try the American Deluxe Precision Bass. here's a link