1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kinda unrelated Jaco question

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ESPplayer, Aug 14, 2007.

1. ESPplayer

ESPplayer

Nov 17, 2006
    Was he or any of the other bass greats religious in any way?I am a Christian Metalhead and I am researching things about musicians and religion.Thanks

2. i kinda doubt jaco was, although i dont know for sure. he was the kind of guy that could be found drunk in the alleyway before his performance, would be told it was his time to play, would go lay down his stuff up on stage, and then retire to the alleyway to drink the rest of the night away.

im sure there are a lot of great bassists who are religious, and even more who are spiritual.

i know in a lot of victor wootens music, he talks about spirituality and that sort of thing, but never really mentions a god or anything specific to one religion.

3. Christian McBride is a devout Christian (what an appropriate name) as is John Patitucci.

4. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    Billy Sheehan is a scientologist

Brian Ritchie from the Violent Femmes is a Buddhist

5. Larry Grahams a Jehova's witness. I heard Pino Palladino's a christian.

6. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I think you will find great bassist that are everything from Atheist to Zionist, super genius to unbelievably stupid, really nice and easy going to egotistical megalomaniacs and everything in between. Just like everyone else. Good luck in your search. It should be interesting research :)

7. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    This characterization of Jaco is off base. Jaco had a disease called bi-polar disorder. He was a manic depressive. Please read this to gain abetter undersatnding:

http://www.jacopastorius.com/features/writings/daddy.asp

While not a devout christian, I think Jaco often cited Jesus Christ as one of his heros/inspriration.

8. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Abraham Laboriel, Sr., Adam Nitti, Melvin Lee Davis and Dominic Di Piazza are Christians.

Keep God First!:hyper:

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste!:cool:

9. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Abraham Laboriel, Sr., Adam Nitti, Al Turner, Melvin Lee Davis and Dominic Di Piazza are Christians.

Keep God First!:hyper:

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste!:cool:

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  11. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Plus, while certainly not admirable behavior, none of what you describe above precludes a commitment to religion, or at least not to spirituality.

12. that is true..although it is less likely that a person with this behavior will be a religious person than one who swears off drinking. i did say i didnt know if jaco was. or at least i said i doubt it, which also shows unsureness.(word?)

13. Messiah25

Messiah25

Mar 10, 2007
    Israel
    I've got the book about Jaco called "The Tragic And Extraordinary Life Of Jaco Pastorius".
    And in the book it says that Jaco was a Christian all the way.
    He was always talking to Zawinaul about religion, and back when he wasn't in drugs yet, he actually told his brother that in one of his dreams he was on the location when Jesus was crucified.
    I suggest to anyone to read this book, I read it atleast twice a year and it gets me to pull out Jaco's records again.

14. very insightful writing by his daughter there too.

and on a side note...jaco's killer only served 4 months!?!?

15. Messiah25

Messiah25

Mar 10, 2007
    Israel
    Till this day I'm getting upset cause of that.
    He was actually released for good behavior after 4 months, but he only got a half a year!!!

16. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Question: Is this the book Pat Metheny mentions in the liner notes of the re-release of Jaco's debut album? He says something about Jaco suffering from a "botched biography" or something like that. I own that book as well and was just wondering which book he meant.

Sorry to go a little off topic. It's easy to with Jaco!

17. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Yea, It's a shame. Take a life and only get 4 months? Read Stanley Clark's comments about Jaco too, it's also Very insightful.

18. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Fair enough.

And let's all consider that spirituality : religion :: social consciousness : affiliation with a political party

:bag:

19. Messiah25

Messiah25

Mar 10, 2007
    Israel
    No, I think you own the new version of the book.
    I have the old version, Bill Milkowski released a second version of this book a couple of years ago with added interviews and stuff.

20. i dont understand.