1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kinetic watches

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Hey guys,

Looking at buying a new watch that is cheapish and will survive. Wanting a day to day bracelet and a couple Seiko's have really caught my eye (same watch really, just one is two tone). Both titanium with sapphire crystal so it should last the day to day scratches and bashes perfectly fine.

41Q38aaeYYL._SL500_AA280_.

31Z4JhME0GL._SL500_AA263_.

The only possible problem, is they are kinetic. I have had battery and solar/eco-drive watches before, but never kinetic. I dare say if they sell them they probably work fine right? Anything in particular I'd need to worry about?

Cheers

2. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I have one and it is so great. Never have to worry about a battery. The seikio Kinetics are great... You won't regret it. Here's mine:

ska389m.

3. Good to hear the reassurance :)

I was sure there wouldnt be a problem, but it was just because it is something I have never used before.

Out of interest, how does the black finish on your watch hold up? I remember looking at a similar watch a while back and being put off it thinking that after a while it would chip and look pretty tatty, but again, probably worrying too much!

4. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Whatever it is (maybe some kind of nickel?) it's solid all the way through, so no worries about chipping. It's held up very well.

Also, the coolest part about the kinetic watches is that instead of a battery on the back, there's just glass, and you can see all the inner-workings of the watch.

5. Excellent, Cheers :)

I knew some had the glass backs, I didnt think they all did, added bonus there :D

6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I have one - a seiko. It's worked great for me thus far.

7. Looking good so far, cheers guys :)

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    While it's true you don't have to worry about battery replacement, the capacitors do wear out. I just retired mine after about 15 years of use becuase it would cost about $80 to do the repair.

Bought an automatic to replace it.

9. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    What's the difference between Eco and Kinetic drive? Solar power vs. movement? FWIW, I'm wearing a Titanium Citizen Eco-Drive that has been almost a daily wearer for the past 5 1/2 years. Still works great, and looks great too. Any scratches on the TI are minimal, and the crystal looks great too.

Oh, and I like the second one better of the two. Weird, because I usually don't like gold.

10. Kinetic works off motion, so to charge it you just need to knock one off while wearing the watch :p . Eco Drive is just Citizens solar powered technology.

And that is pretty wierd, because I usually like two tone, but am leaning more towards the plain one! Must admit there is a titanium Citizen that has caught my eye, but it is more than double what the Seiko is (and sadly isnt sapphire crystal), so a bit more than I can afford right now.

Here's my citizen eco-drive:
    [​IMG]

(it looks alot better in person)

11. I like my automatics and manual winds. Call me old fashioned or just old :meh: There's just something cool about a spring powered micromachine strapped to your wrist. :D

12. Nothing wrong with that at all :) , half of my masters is studying micromechanics, so im getting a real passion for small machinary :D

13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Same here. I believe I got about 12 years out of mine. I've read that the newer Seiko Kinetic watches are using lithium ion rechargeable batteries (with an estimated eight year life) instead of capacitors.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Sounds right.

15. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    How much are they? I have come to love nearly everything about my Elgin Titanium watch. If it was just a little easier to read in low light I think it would be perfect.

16. They are relativley cheap. £115ish (the plain one has a £140 RRP and the two-tone has a £280 RRP apparently, one of them must be wrong as the watches are the exact same (other than one being two tone) in both appearance and contain the same motion.

Just wanting a cheap yet classy day to day watch that should last :) Had a look at some Elgin Titanium watches, nice :)

17. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    They definitely last. My skin somhow seems to dissolve steel watches. And since most steel watch casings are actually brass casings covered with steel, they dissolve especially fast once you get down to the brass.

I've ruined five or six dive watches just by wearing them over the last twenty two years. I've worn this Elgin Titanium for about two years and the back still looks new. Most watches would have visible degradation showing after about six months.

18. Acid sweat or what :p

19. ahkiatt

ahkiatt

Sep 30, 2006
    Singapore
    My dad has been wearing the same Seiko watch for over a decade, he loves it and doesn't go anywhere without it.

Definitely a bang for the buck watch.