Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

King Bass:my first DB for jazz or something else?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by furiously funky, Dec 1, 2004.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    im a jazz student and ive been using the schools double basses so far this year when not playing electric, and im planning on getting my own this summer. would a slap king be a smart move? I would really like a new standard but they would be out of my reach i think. any other ideas if the king wouldnt be a good choice?
    are the pickups in the king reasonable as well or would it be worth it to get differnt ones for jazz? can you bow the kings?
    thanks
    -marty

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Instead of brand name or luster (not to mention flames) of instruments, you should concentrate on SOUND

3. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    thanks
    is this the general opinion around here? if so point me in the right direction
    -marty

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Have you read through the Newbie Links? There is a lot of good info in there.

5. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Play as many basses as you can. If you have a teacher (even for electric) they can help in many ways, let then know you are looking to get a UB.

Stay away from tha major chains and/or ordering something that you can't play.

My first bass was an Engelhardt, and they seem to be good entry instruments.

I have never played a King bass, but my understanding is that they are made more for the rockabilly crowd, and are made to withstand the slapping and other antics.

I would look for a laminate (ply) bass. You should be able to afford one. Remember also to have a little extra left over for set-up, unless you get your bass from a luther.

Good Luck.

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    1. Good for you being a young jazz bassist.
    2. make sure you have a teacher

3. Play as many basses in your price range as possible. Eventually, one of those basses will feel like "home." That is the bass that you take with you !

Good Luck !

7. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    as i said, i am at school for jazz bass, so the teachers here all play upright (some electric as well) so hopefully they can help.
    i know a little about the instruments as i have been playing them for a few years, just not my own.
    what Pickups are well know and played by jazz bassists?
    any other important info i should hear about?
    -marty

8. If you need to ask questions like "can you bow the Kings?", then you need to spend a whole lot of time looking around in the Newbie Links and Search just to gain some knowledge about the instument. Welcome and good luck!

9. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    i shouldnt have said "can you bow" but rather do they sound nice when bowed.
    but it looks like you guys arent generally fans of the kings anyway.

10. ultravisitor

ultravisitor

Nov 11, 2004
    I've hesitated in positing a new "beginner" topic so I suppose I'll submit my query here. I've read through many of the links in the Newbie section and have learned quite a lot about double bass.

Like Marty, I'm a music student at university, concentrating in composition. My primary instrument is piano but I really want to switch to mostly jazz, but possibly classical one day, double bass (I've got years of experience with electric guitar and bass). Engelhardt and Strunal are obviously my main choices, as these are what has been mentioned on the board (I've searched!). My budget is only $1500 USD :meh:

I haven't consulted the jazz bass instructor here as he's been right unavailable in the last several weeks. Might anyone make further suggestions based on what I've mentioned? I'm quite new to the world of double bass, having only spent hours in the Newbie links section.

11. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Hey Funky -- coupla things to keep in mind: The new Kings are targeted to guys playing loudly amplified. As such, they're generally not the loudest basses acoustically. That aside, remember that - as superficial as it may sound - appearance does matter; even if not to you, it may matter for guys you want to play with. If you intend on making jazz your primary pursuit, you may want to consider something that "looks the part" a little more. Lucky for you, there are a ton of options in a similar price range from which to choose these days. Good luck!

12. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    A few suggestions for Angry Funk and MegaGuest...

In the new-instrument ~$1500 or under price range, you might consider looking at the following:

- Strunal 50/4 (laminated) or 50/35 (hybrid)
    - Sam Shen SB80 (laminated)
    - Christopher 100-series (laminated)
    - Engelhardt M-1 or S-1 (laminated)
    - Upton Bass (laminated)

I'll post others as I think of them, but that's already several good, viable options to examine. There are plenty of other basses available in this price range, such as those from Knilling, Glaesel/Scherl & Roth, etc., as well as basses sold under various names at places like Jim Laabs, Southwest Strings, etc. Thing about those brands is that it's sometimes unclear of where the instruments are actually produced and by whom exactly. It's not to say they are bad instruments or that they should necessarily be avoided, just that you should exercise caution and be sure the shop or luthier you purchase your bass from will stand behind the instrument. If possible, shop and buy locally, so you can play everything first, and so help's just down the road should you need it.

13. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    i didnt want one of the crazy looking ones anyway. i wanted the blond bass, i agree with the idea of appearances mattering to lots of people.
    so, weve agreed that kings are not what im after. whatelse could i get for say... 3000 ish or does anyone know of anywhere in toronto where i could find a lot of used basses?
    thanks again
    -marty

14. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    www.uptonbass.com

Give Gary Upton a call and see what he has to say. I have a UB Jazz and am very happy. To my ear it kicks the crap out of all the Kay/Engle basses I tried. What sold me was it was set up and plays as good as any/everything I played and better than 95% of all I tried. It is a large 3/4 sized bass, built like a cello, but sounds monsterous (in a good way). I have no regrets and would buy it again in a heartbeat.

az

15. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Thanks for that link. While i play an NS Designs EUB my goal is to get a real DB down the road. Nice to know there is a place close to me.

Furiously Funk, let me know if you find some places in Toronto with DB

You could try this store. Its a long time since I have been but when I was there I'm sure they had a DB or two.

http://www.thesoundpost.com/about.htm

16. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    $3000ish?

NEW STANDARD NEW STANDARD NEW STANDARD NEW STANDARD NEW STANDARD . . . . . .

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    New Standards are real nice basses, but I think they're substanially more than $3000.
    I don't want to seem like i'm just pushing these guys this morning, but if you're in canada, maybe these gus are close?
    http://www.violins.on.ca/basses.html