Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

King Crimson bassists,pick your fav.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by VS, Mar 20, 2004.

Who is your KC favorite?

Poll closed Mar 30, 2004.
  1. Greg Lake

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Peter Giles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Gordon Haskell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Boz Burrell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. John Wetton

11 vote(s)
    22.0%
  6. Tony Levin

29 vote(s)
    58.0%
  7. Trey Gunn

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Who is your favorite bassist/touch guitarist for KC? I think I know what the outcome will be,but you never know. -Luke

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I really enjoy Early Crimson when they were more jazzy. I will go with John Wetton. Mainly cause I only own three KC cds, Starless and Bible Black, Red, and the newest one. Starless is my fave out of these three.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Tony Levin is one of my favorite bassist of all time. But with KC I prefer the stuff recorded with Wetton (I dig his voice)

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Big TLev fan here. He could play bass with a symphony of people doing nothing but farting, and I'd pay dearly to see him . . .

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    :D

I'm picturing Tony playing his NS upright with a clothespin on his nose. You have a gift for hyperbole, Eric.

6. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    For me it's a tossup between Tony & Wetton. Both have had a significant influence on my playing.... :)

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have to agree with a few other posters in that it's very hard to choose between John Wetton and Tony Levin.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
  9. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Levin 1st, Gunn and Wetton CLOSE 2nd.

But c'mon,, the basslines from Three of a Perfect Pair and One Time are enough to push Tony to the top.

10. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    +1

11. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    Tony and Wetton without a doubt. With Tony you have the deepest grooves ever written, and with Wetton you have ridiculously heavy, manic, intense and sometimes funky lines that brilliantly propel the band. Everyone should sound as good as he does distorted.

12. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Levin, but Gunn has done some very amazing things (The Power to Believe II, Deception of the Thrush).

I'm really looking forward to the new lineup, however (Belew, Fripp, Levin, Mastelotto).

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I have to go with John Wetton. I love Tony (and others), but Fripp/Wetton/Bruford is still my favorite KC lineup by far. Wetton played the P-bass of Doom... still gives me chills.

14. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Tony Levin is definitely one of my very favourite players, but in the KC world I prefer John Wetton's work.

15. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Trey is an outstanding musician, but the bassist in me wants some right hand stuff as opposed to full time tapping...

I saw Wetton on the Larks Tongues tour - he was a monster & had the killer sound.

I think Tony is the more versatile & complete player, though. At that level, it's all good... ;)

16. I have to say Trey Gunn,because of his creativity.I'm not saying the others weren't,it's just that I like his style.I love John Wetton's playing,as well as Greg Lake and of course Tony Levin.Now that i'm talking about this other guys,should I say Trey is my favorite? :smug:
    Nevermind :bassist:

I LOVE King Crimson.