Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

King Crimson DEJA VROOM

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Apr 12, 2002.

1. probably one the best concert Dvds out there today. I got mine from Newbury Comics for about 20 bucks and i for one never listened to too much King Crimon. I have In the Court of the Crimson King but thats all. I must say that I am amazed by the pure creativity and talent these musicians have. It is amazing.
    The Dvd sounds great. Each channel is basically another musician and you can even "highlight" some musicians to the center channel and boost their volume a bit.
    Also on certain songs you can switch camera angles between some or all of the performers seamlessly as the song progresses.
    There is also a couple behind the scenes videos shot by Tony Levin, a documentary type section on King Crimson throughout the years, and also a neat feature that allows you to mix the song 21st Century Schitzoid Man with any mix of vocal, solo, and rythym line ups throughout the years...
    i recommend this dvd to everyone even if you havent really taken a good listen to King Crimson before. I felt very undecided about them before i saw this and now they are turning into one of my favorite bands.

2. Welcome to the club!

I'd recommend going out and buying Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Discipline, and THRAK for a really good overview of the band, as well as the ProjeKCts sampler The Deception of the Thrush.

3. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    I havent heard much crimson before, what are your favorite songs by them. I want to check them out.:)

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Yes, welcome to the club indeed. I'll echo the recommendation for Lark's Tongue in Aspic and Discipline. I'll be the odd man out, and suggest you also get Beat and The ConstruKction of Light. It's hard to single out albums once you're a diehard fan - albums like Red and Starless and Bible Black have some incredible moments. It's a bit difficult to pick a favorite song, but Absent Lovers has a cross-section of their most enduring:
    Lark's Tongue in Aspic Pt.2
    Red
    Thela Hun Ginjeet

I actually like almost every incarnation of this band -
    "21st Century Schizoid Man" - In the court...
    "Pictures of a City" - In the Wake of Poseidon
    "Ladies of the Road" - Islands
    "Lark's Tongue in Aspic - pts. 1 and 2" - LTIA
    "Great Deceiver" - SABB
    "One More Red Nightmare" - Red
    "Discipline", "Elephant Talk", "Thela Hun Ginjeet" - Discipline
    "Heartbeat" - Beat
    "People", "Sex Sleep Eat Drink Dream" - Thrak
    "Prozac Blues", "The World's My Oyster Soup...." - TCOL

and assorted new and/or ProjeKct songs like "Deception of the Thrush", "Virtuous Circle", "Dangerous Curves"

5. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Yea, I just bought Vroom, the double live CD set. Great stuff. The term "prog" has always turned me off. Goes to show, I should be more open minded when it comes to what tunes I listen to. The guys are MASTER improvisers. I think "Elephant Talk" is my favorite cut on the CDs.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Be forewarned that they've changed very drastically over the years.

Actually the new double-live album is Vrooom Vrooom. Vrooom is an EP from 1994. Uh, and "Vrooom" and "Vrooom Vrooom" are both piece titles :).

My favorites are all spread out from the different albums. Too numerous to list almost. :) My favorite discs are: Great Deceiver (4-disc set of '73-'74 live material, if you think the current lineup were great improvisers check this out! holy crap); Discipline; P2 - Live Groove; Vrooom Vrooom; Absent Lovers.

If you like the material on Deja Vrooom then Vrooom Vrooom is highly recommended.

The "ProjeKcts" stuff (ProjeKcts 1, 2, 3, and 4 were subgroup experiments done in the late 90's) is a bit more experimental maybe, and all instrumental, but there's some really good stuff on there. ProjeKct Two have been a perrenial favorite for me - the live "Heavy ConstruKction" and "Contrary ConstruKction" from the box set are awesome.

I like some of the tracks from the latest studio album (The ConstruKction of Light - namely the title track, FraKctured, and LTIA part 4), overall I haven't warmed up to it yet however.

7. geshel: Did you see them on the tour with JPJ? The improvs they did were smokin'--dare I say, better than the '70s lineup's stuff. Pat-'n'-Trey are quite possibly the best rhythm section in rock right now. In a genre populated by the likes of Justin Chancellor and Danny Carey from Tool, Ryknow and sPaG from Mudvayne, and the crew from Dillinger Escape Plan (don't know their names), that's definitely saying something.

8. I thought U had to be over 40 to listen to KC.

All my King Crimson is on LPs

ladys of the Road is one of my favs

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Peter - no, they didn't play Seattle on that tour. I saw them with Tool last August, and they were very good but not top form. They didn't have the time to really open up onstage. But that's OK because Tool played after them. . . :)

It's funny because I'm so used to Trey doing the crazy solos and doubling the guitar parts, that seeing/hearing him playing the bass role is a bit weird. Like, he's good but I still have a hard time with it. He and Pat are definitely tight! If you ever get the chance to see the Trey Gunn Band (I think they'll be touring in the near future? Or maybe I'm confused. I missed the show here in January :( ), go!! You'll wonder why the world doesn't know about Bob Muller (the drummer).

Mike: I got into KC in 1995, at the ripe age of 19. . . :)

10. I bought In the Court... when I was 15. I sure wish I would have been able to catch the Double Trio, but sadly I was 12 when THRAK was released.

I can't wait for the new album, which is in preproduction right now. After it's done, KC will likely head on the road with Tool again in the late summer, possibly covering the entire US. Rumor has it that Maynard will be singing on some of the catalog material ('70s stuff)--I'd sure love to hear him tackle "The Great Deceiver" or "Fallen Angel" (I sing the latter in the shower from time to time, because Wetton's range and mine are just about the same).

11. Try 3 years old!!!! that's the first memory i have of listening to King Crimson. Going around town to my friend's, and listening to Elephant Talk. Speaking of which, i saw them at the Orpheum Theater in boston February. Anyway, INGL, good call, i've had that DVD for a little over 2 years now. Everytime i watch that i often change angles from Fripp to Levin To Belew. I remember hearing somewhere that Fripp has a 5 foot high rack of effects.

12. Ah, yes, the infamous Lunar Module. I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't crash during the show I saw.

13. maybe that's why Fripp is...er... i mean ACTS like a corpse during his show. So his Lunar Module doesn't tip over!

14. Oh, no, I was referring to the computers crashing. The Lunar Module's structurally stable; it's on huge casters and the power amps are at the bottom.

15. so was i.... i'm a friggen idiot

16. I'm not too keen today, either. I shouldn't stay up 'til 4 working on finance homework.

17. check out Trey Gunns setup to... KADUFF!
    god i wish they updated this site more... it was one of my favs till i looked at every single page twice.

18. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yeah, funny though that Trey's setup was almost outdated as soon as it was posted. That would be a tough one to keep track of. . .

19. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Its a great DVD. I just wish there was a good DVD of the RED lineup. Taking nothing away from other incarnations, but I loved that lineup! Wetton was their most formidable vocalist IMO.