King Crimson Effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MadPink, May 9, 2002.

1. At the end of "Sex Sleep Eat Drink Dream" Tony Levin and Trey Gunn use some strange violin sounding effect when they're playing stick bass....what is it?
  2. This is on the Deja VROOOM DVD by the way..
  3. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    In the musical interlude between "SSEDD" and "Elephant Talk" with the two Sticks, they are both using volume pedals to "swell" the notes...much like a bow does on a violin. You hit the note with the volume rolled off, then quickly(or gradually) roll the volume up. You can do this effect with the volume knob on your bass too...tap a note with your left hand then turn your volume knob up, although its easier w/a footpedal and your right hand free to pluck!
  4. excellent...anyone know of any good volume pedals?
  5. What about a Guyatone SV-2 slow volume? I use my EBS BassIQ for an attack delay; very similar. Anything that rolls off your note attack will get you there, great for synth FX.
  6. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'm guessing that with Trey Gunn, it's actually the Warr Guitar he's playing.
  7. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Yeah!! I recently got an SV-2. Very cool (and tiny!) device. In combination with an envelope filter, octave and distortion, I can get those slow-attack bass bombs you often hear in drum-n-bass music.

I also use an Ernie Ball volume pedal. That thing is built like a tank, and has the best feel out of any volume pedal I've tried.