Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

King Crimson Offshoots

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Jan 30, 2006.

1. I love KC. The Mid 70s and Present versions being my favorites. Im interested in any good offshoots of KC. Member's solo works or the ProjeKTs ( or something) or other GOOD groups they were involved in . Can Any one suggest something .
    I have Trey Gunn's Third Star album which is really cool if I'm in an " enlightening " mood. I wanna hear some more stuff .

Feel free to discuss Crimso and it's offshoots as well.

Much Thanks

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Have you heard Adrian Belew's side one? I really dig it actually, it show how important he really is to the modern KC sound. Furthermore, the tracks with Les an Danny Carey sound like Primus if Primus had better vocals... it's weird. :D Plus I think it's Danny's best drum work.

3. No but soon I'll probaly buy Side one and Two.

Matt, you need to check out Trey Gunn's solo stuff. Since you're also into the weird .....You'll dig it. I suggest Third Star.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha, you've basically got two Trey threads going on at once... I commented on the other about his solo stuff. :D

5. Ha!It's to show my love of the Double Trio, therefore Double Threads.

I heart King Crimson.

Supposedly there's a live album out there with the Double Trio Doing 21st Century man and Red. I need to find that.

6. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I really enjoy The ProjeKcts. I was a bit disappointed with Side One, although the first 3 songs are really good.

I need to get some Trey Gunn, anyone care to suggest a good place to start? My favorite Crimso that he was involved with was The Power to Believe.

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The Third Star is my favorite of his solo albums, though The Joy of Molybdenum is close behind.

Sylvian/Fripp - The First Day and Damage have Fripp, Gunn, and Mastoletto on them too, both are excellent. I prefer the original release of Damage (in the little box) to Sylvian's re-mixed/mastered more recent release.

page - the ProjeKCts box set is awesome. Two and Three are my favorites. I think you may still be able to get 2's Live Groove separately? "Heavy ConstruKCtion" and "Contrary ConstruKCtion" are completely terrifying tunes.

For something completely different, yet very similar, there's the League of Crafty Guitarists. I'd recommend Intergalactic Boogie Express.

8. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    It would be difficult to list all of the collaborations of the members of KC.
    Just follow the trail left by Tony Levin, and you'll run into quite a few albums of great music.
    Bill Bruford is the same way.

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    B'boom is great live album of the double trio from Argentina, check it out. This tour was AMAZING, I had damn near a religious experience at the Warfield Theatre in San Francisco.

Oh, and I agree that tracks 1--3 of Belew's Side One are killer. The rest....meh.

10. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Cheers, will check them out. :)

11. I suggest Bill Bruford's "One of A kind", and Bruford/Levin's "Upper Extremities"

12. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. Lake played bass on their first, and my favorite, album.

13. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    Robert Fripp: Exposure
    -Fripp's first solo album, some very Red-esque stuff and then something else. Peter Hammill and Daryl Hall are among the singers.

UK: s/t
    UK: Danger Money
    -Wetton's pre-Asia project, Bruford's on the first album.

McDonald And Giles: s/t
    -A collaboration after they left KC, Pete Giles on bass. More melodic and not so hars, almost Beatlesque in places. An enjoyable album.

14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    If you want to check out some Crimso offshoots, I suggest looking into Bad Company and Foreigner...

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

16. Don't worry Bob, I already have all of The Bear's Stuff!:D

BennyStrangeboy
    , I know Boz Burrel was in Bad Company, but who was in Foreigner?

17. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Ian McDonald, man.

I am THE Crimso fan; you won't find anybody on here that has more dirt on them. I'd regale you with some information from their family tree (which comes in their Great Deciever boxset), but alas! I am moving back to New Orleans soon and it's already packed up.

18. Ha! I can see it now : Guitar Etudes in E minor on " I wanna Know what love is" , performed by Robert Fripp .

19. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Bill Bruford's Earthworks is VERY worthwhile listening (I even saw them once in 2001, AMAZING!):
    Earthworks
    Dig?
    Stamping Grounds
    Heavenly Bodies
    A Part and Yet Apart
    The Sound of Surprise
    Footloose and Fancy Free

Duet albums with Patrick Moraz:
    Flags
    Music for Piano & Drums

Solo Discs:
    Feels Good to Me