Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

King Crimson

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nuk3m, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Just needed some help guys

Their album "The Double Trio" the bass sounds really nice but i dont know what amp he is using. Id like to be able to get the same sound or possible amp to get this nice low end he has going.

If anyone could help i would be very apreciative.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The bass player in the Double Trio lineup was Tony Levin and he was using Trace Elliot amps. At one point he was using both the solid state stuff (familiar green heads with the black lights) and a V-Type tube stack.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yes, but Tony rarely, if ever, goes through his live amp rig when recording. He goes through his extensive rack gear, though, which includes three retrospec tube compressors - that accounts for the bulk of his signature sound.

4. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    I was under the asumption that the album was recorded live as i hear clapping, cheering and whatnot throughout it. :confused:

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Even so, the signal caught onto tape and the signal heard by Tony on stage don't necessarily have to be the same. In most cases, they aren't. Live recording isn't about putting a microphone on stage with the band and pressing "record".

6. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Virtual Guitar Magazine once had a rundown of Levin's road rig from about 8 years ago, but my link for it is no longer active. Sorry, but its DI out from his rack, baby. What goes out to the audience through the soundboard, and what goes to the recording console at live shows is only his rack gear to a DI, not his amp.

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm sure there may be a mixture of mics and DIs going on there. As I know it, Tony's using the TE rig described above.

Don't forget that Tony is not the only bass you're hearing on that recording. Trey Gunn is doing lots of low end stuff too, sometimes in unison with Tony, which helps define that sound even more.

8. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    I am aware i just thought itd be pretty cheap to change it that much post to playing it live.

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Crimson doesn't fix mistakes in post production. What he's saying is that the bass is going direct to the board, with a combination of mics for tone and ambience. Any audience noise would be picked up by those.

KC has always been one to hang their mistakes out for all to see. It's a glorious practice, methinks.

10. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    ahh ok my mistake, well what would u suggest be the simplest way to get that tone?

11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I guess the simplest way to get a tone similar to Levin's is to play a StingRay-5 through one of Trace's upper-end combos. I read in Bass Player mag that he considered the StingRay-5 as his primary bass. But IMO at best, you'll get a tone similar to Tony's.

I tried for a few years to cop Chris Squire's tone. I couldn't even get close to it! :crying:

12. Grow two more arms and learn to play Warr guitar and bass at the same time. :eyebrow: Or just cop that gear and practice like hell to achieve Mr. Levin's perfect touch. :bassist:

13. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've been trying to get some of Levin's tones for years. I'm not sure that absent having Levin himself play the bass and rig there even is "a" way, let alone a "simplest" way . . . . he makes his career out of his signature sound and technique. I even bought a pair of his 'funk fingers' sticks to try to get his tone, and couldn't do it (aside from the fact that those things are hard as heck to play).

I suggest you pick up a copy of King Crimson's "Deja Vroom" live concert DVD, and you'll get a good idea of the MANY different manners in which Levin approaches his instruments to get his varying tones. Its very educational, and cool as hell to watch!

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    this reminds me of part of my owner's manual for my swr electric blue amp
    they had various tone control setting suggestions for rock, jazz, cutting through, clearign up the sound, etc
    then they had the following: "want to sound like marcus miller....................practice a lot. "
    i think that applies here as well.

15. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Sell me your funk fingers if you don't want them.

16. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Why don't you want to sound like you?
    We have a Tony Levin.
    We are waiting for you!

17. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    What's all this "we" stuff?

18. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Didn't Tony play a bit of the Steinberger on the Double Trio stuff? I certainly remember some arco on the "garden" tune on Vroom.

19. I know he uses a few MusicMan basses :)

20. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Not a Steinberger "bass", but an NS Design Electric Upright 5 The "S" in NS is Steinberger, of course). And yes, Levin used in on Vroom as well as the latest Peter Gabriel album and tours.