King Crimson

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Feb 3, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Ok, the general consensus seems to be that these guys rock, and from what I've seen they're also had many lineup changes. Since I can't/don't want to put all 14 of there albums on my ipod, what are some of the best? If they had eras, would a fan be so kind as to break them down and classify them? All I know is prog metal, is that even right?
  2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    King Crimson is something else. I'd say they are the only true progressive band, that to this day sounds different with every album.

Three must have albums: Red, Discipline, The Power to Believe.
  3. i have red, and thats pretty cool i think
  4. Red is suberb.

Some other goodies are Disipline. Starless and Bible Black. You might want to try this for a good overview.

NO they are not Prog metal as you will discover. More of a progressive rock or sometimes called "classical rock" (A term from that era)
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA

My favorite two, but I don't have them all.

If they come to your town do not miss them. They are amazing live.
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Red, Larks Tounge In Aspic, and Power to Believe.
  7. Heres my breakdown of it.
    Court of the Crimson King, Wake of Poseiden, Lizard, and Islands - Traditional proggressive rock/fusion like stuff. Very good, very hippie. My favorite of the three is Islands, but most would probably suggest Court of.

mid 70s
    Lark Tongues in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black and Red- Heavyish proto metal prog. Lots of Avant-garde moments
    Red is the most famous

late 70s early 80s, Discipline, Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair. New Wavish but still proggressive and weird. Like Proto Primus stuff. Discipline is the most famous.

Modern - Thrak, the Power to Believe, Construction of Light , Space Groove, and the ProjeCKts. Power to Believe and Thrak totally destroy.

If i had to pick one from each era I'd go with Islands, Lark Tongues, Discipline, and PTB.
  8. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I have to throw in a recommendation for Three of a Perfect Pair.

I loved that album. I can't believe nobody else picked it.:eyebrow:
  9. I love Red, but most of the albums recommended above would be good starting points. The best way to get an idea of King Crimson's music would be to grab an album from every era.
  10. Actually, I love the live stuff best...

The Night Watch-Red Era

Absent Lovers-Discipline Era

In the words of the Master: "Records and live performance are two worlds. One is a love letter, the other a hot date. Crimson were always a band for a hot date ..."
  11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I saw them do the Discipline album from about 4 feet away. They did 'Lark's Tongue' too. Yeah, it was hella cool.

I saw Malthumb use the word 'hella' in another thread, I could resist no longer.
  12. i havnt heard much of them, but in the court of the crimson king is definately a good album
  13. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Red, Beat, In the Court are my favs.
    Also Buffalo 66 had A LOT of King crimson on it's soundtrack
  14. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Red, Discipline, Thrak, Larks
  15. yup, Absent Lovers is a definitely MUST HAVE... that live version of Discipline alone is worth the whole set... plus you have these great tracks from Red, Larks Tongues in Aspic, TOAPP...
  16. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Lizard!! Weird but great. Great cover art!
  17. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    King Crimson is one of the most amazing bands ever. DEFINITELY get Red and Discipline. In The Court of the Crimson King is great too.
  18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA

edit...... the excellent moderators removed the stuff that ruined this thread and caused me to post my kitties jpeg. In case you ran across this and didn't understnad.......
  19. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Remember when Robert Fripp was referring to himself as "this Fripp"? That was funny!
  20. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    har har.