1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

King Crimson

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Sound Chaser, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Is it really possible for a band to be this good? I got In The Court, THRAK, Larks', Discipline, (in that order) and am now just listening to The Power To Believe. They're freaking incredible. They're so diverse, too. There's a song there for any mood, just in those five albums. Wetton is probably THE unsung bass master of the 70s. His playing is magnificent. Like most singers/bassists he has a great sense of melody in his basslines, and his tone is my favorite P-bass tone of all time. Also, Levin's and (mostly) Gunn's playing has caused me to start saving for a tap guitar (see my sig).

So, what's your opinion on this band?

2. Red is a good cd too :)

3. Since you dig Crimso , go check out the following :

Van der Graaf Generator
    Amon Duul II
    Faust
    Comus
    Art Bears
    Magma
    Wishbone Ash

4. +100 ;)

I have gone through a similar Warr Guitar debate....... ;)

Tony Levin just stated today on a radio show in New York that he will be back playing bass with Crimson, whenever Fripp decides to get the troops back to record again. ;)

JT

5. Wetton's P-bass tone truly rocks.

I especially like it in the song "Red"... it sounds like an angry Greek god!!(whatever they sound like???)

6. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    immediately go out and buy Starless and BIble Black and Red

I've seen 80's and 90's and 00's crim each a few times
    - oh my

7. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Another +1 for the Red cd.

Nobody's mentioned "in the wake of poseidon" yet. thats their second cd (i beleive). its a great cd, definately worth checking out.

8. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    If you want, you can check out my band covering Red on our myspace (in my sig - it's a video).

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, King Crimson is definitely one of the best bands ever.

For new King Crimson fans, I think the best way to start is by getting Red and Discipline. Red is their more darker straight forward rock sound, and Discipline (Tony Leivn era) is more fusiony.

And yes, John Wetton's P-bass tone is definitely one of the best ever. I heard he broke a lot of strings because of his heavy attack (kinda sounds like me.) :bassist:

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm a longtime fan of King Crimson, and I'm a HUGE fan of the Wetton era live stuff. The Great Deceiver box rules!!

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you think they're good on record you should see them live.

12. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    B00065MDSG.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.

There are a lot of albums in my collection I'd chuck before this one. :)

13. vlado

vlado

Mar 14, 2006
    Buje, Croatia
    Good band, but a little too pretentious for my taste. Also like Emerson Lake and Palmer. Both have great, shining moments, which you´d hope will last forever, but they don´t. But that´s still enough to earn a lot of respect.
    I like "Cadence and cascades" so much, it´s also becoming for me kind of like a way of recognizing musicians to play with, I play them that and watch the reaction and then decide. Not many songs are that good.

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The word "pretentious" is a bit of an understatement when discussing Robert Fripp. Have you read any of his many essays on the music business? Whether he's right or wrong, there can be no doubt as to how unbelievably impressed he is with himself.

15. You got that right. He typically won't address the audience and just sit in the back in front of his rack while laying down soundscapes.
    I had the rare treat of seeing him walk up front, center stage, mike in hand, and talk to the audience for a few minutes during a Projekct show. It was at San Francisco's Great American Music Hall and his sister lives in SF. Apparently he promised to talk if she showed up or something. He was clearly uncomfortable.

16. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Have seen them three times...once with the Belew-Fripp-Levin-Bruford line up on the Three Of A Perfect Pair tour, once with the six man team, and once with the most recent line up with Trey Gunn. My fave? The quartet with Levin and Bruford. Man, were they awesome! If you have never seen Bill Bruford live, do so asap.

17. Check out his Angry Greek God sound on the latest release from the Collector's club: "Live In Heidelberg, March 29, 1974" The Red Lineup in all their live glory!!! Simply amazing!!!

18. There's an off shoot of Crimson called the Crimson Jazz Trio (now a quartet actually). It features the original Crimson drummer (Ian Wallace) and is fully endorsed by Fripp. It's really good to hear Crimson done in a jazz fashion. The playing is awesome and the album, Volume 1, is superb. Matte Kudasai is simply breathe taking, with Tim Landers taking the lead on bass, and man what a player. I strongly urge you to check it out. If Crimson is quite not your thing, you may dig it more as a jazz project instead.

19. speigel

speigel

Aug 5, 2005
    Somerset, UK
    Get 'USA'. One of the best live albums ever. John Wetton and Bill Bruford are absolutely astounding on it.

20. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    we dig KC so much we're making all our gigs from now on 'smoke-free.'

very excited to hear that Tony's returning to the fold!