Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

King Crimson's "The Great Deceiver"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    A great song from a great album (Starless and Bible Black), it is also a stinging jab at someone that Robert Fripp really disliked. Rumor had it years ago that it was written about Jon Anderson of Yes. Anyone have the skinny on it? Paging Peter McFerrin!

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I can't wait until Fripp rereleases Starless and Bible Black, Wetton era Crimson rules.

Don't know the story, but I hate Jon Anderson's voice. I couldn't imagine two big hippies hating each other enough to fight about it. Though, a very hippie thing to do would be to write a song about it. :D

3. I wouldn't think so considering Fripp had Anderson sing on the album Lizard.

I for one love Anderson's "grandpa " esque voice, im a huge Yes fan :)

The opening riff is really fun to play... the main guitar riff any way. I tried to learn the whole song on guitar...... that's just way too much meltdown for my ears to figure out. :D

4. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Fripp never impressed me as a hippie. When I saw him play guitar with Peter Gabriel at the Bottom Line in the late '70s, he looked more like a banker in his pinstripe 3 piece suit and tie. :confused:

Jon Anderson, on the other hand..........

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Eh, I call prog people hippies, despite their often unhippie ways. Are you playing a song in 13/8? Then you're a hippie.

6. No , but im lyrically trying to find the meaning of life whilst soloing like a madman.

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Richard Palmer-James wrote the lyrics. The only part that Fripp coined was the "Cigarettes, ice cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary" line, I believe.

8. King Crimson did one Barbershop Quartet track which is a bonus track on the most recently released version of Three of a Perfect Pair.

:D

- Dave

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Are you serious? That is amazing!

10. Although, Tony Levin did all the vocals.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I <3 Levin, especially since he plays bass/sings bass. Same goes for the Ox. Booorrisss the spiddeeerrrrr...

/off topic.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Also, Fripp seems to serious to do any barbershop... or maybe not serious enough.

13. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Fripp is verrry serious. Doesn't move off that stool. :eyebrow: But he does have that Barbershop Quartet kinda look.

14. That's the only thing I can't stand about live Crimso.........THAT GOD DAMNED STOOL!!!!! You'd think he'd wanna get up and rock out sometimes. But no ... He sticks with the stool.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It makes sense. Fripp is approaching "rock" from a more classical approach. Classical guitarists don't get up and rock out. Even though Fripp plays some heavy stuff, he still doesn't believe in the rock n' roll experience. Example:

The King Crimson band (we don't do encores)
    The King Crimson band (no photos please!)
    'Cause we're the King Crimson band (we don't do 21st Century Schizoid Man!)
    But we're the King Crimson band!

They don't do encores, people standing around chanting for more after a great show is lame, instead they just play a long set and cut the B.S. And they don't do old hits just to please classic rock radio fans. And I couldn't agree more for a KC show. In fact, on the USA disc, I HATE the audience. Between songs people are shouting out names of songs, one guy screams "PLAY!" during an ambient part, and after Larks II, some chick asks, "Who made your violin?!" It's a concert, they're not there to be told what to do/have a conversation about violins. Idiotic screaming between songs is rarely called for. Fripp just wants a classical music setting. No noise until after a song, then applaud, then silence. I think this would be ideal for a lot of bands actually.

16. yeah but Lake and Wetton, those guys wanted to rock out.

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The barbershop track was available years ago on a compilation (Concise King Crimson maybe?). Apparently barbershop quartet singing has been a hobby of Levin's for some time.

Saw Fripp solo recently and he did two sets of Soundscapes with a Q&A in between. He really is one funny MF although you wouldn't know it from the recordings or his writings.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

It did make for a strange bit of contrast. I downloaded a video of King Crimson on TV. It was Larks Tounge Era. Muir was doing his madman percussion, and Wetton was rocking out. Bruford had his typical goofy smile going and he seemed into it. But Cross and Fripp were pretty serious/looking classical. Cross did crack a smile when Muir busted out the bird whistle. :D

I don't even know the song, I don't have Larks. It was instrumental.

19. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Dillinger Escape Plan is NOT hippie.